The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think i have done something really stupid

wkdtime

I recently installed a Walbro fuel pump, supplied by MKIVStore.

The pump came with it's own connector lead with a positive and negative terminal.

When i took out the old pump i snipped the lead off as i needed to use the top connector as i planned to use this and mate the two terminals to the Walbro connector terminals.

I then Soldered the wires together and made sure that the positive was snipped lower than the negative as to prevent the risk of short circuiting.

I could not use Wiring Tape for obvious reasons due to the petrol vapour and left it be.

I have been driving the car like this and its been fine.

Please find a diagram attached to show what i mean.

I'm totally paranoid that there will be a spark as the wires are bare at the point were they are joined and it's good bye supra and good bye my ass.

pump.JPG

Errr well, whilst they are 'hopefully' far enough apart to not touch, it's seriously bad practice. Best case scenario is that they may make a fuse blow. Worst case... :eek:

Even if you have to get a small peice of rubber tubing, wrap it around the terminals and cable tie both ends, that would be better.

Some nice heatshrink, or heatshrink crimps would be better though.

So you basically have two bare wires in the fuel tank, though spaced apart? It *should* be okay, but hardly safe!!!!

You should be able to get some decent shrink wrap from your local electronics store (i.e. maplins), it's only a 20 minutes job, but worth doing for obvious reasons!

I've got tons of heat shrink here mate, can send some in 1st class post tomorrow if you want?

Oh Darryl that would be wicked if you could, i dont know what size i need, its to go round the connector wiring that is supplied with the Walbro.

Cheers mate i owe you a drink.

just a thought, but I have, in the passed, used the side of the soldering iron tip to shrink the heatshrink material. NOT the tip, as this is much hotter and just melts it, but the side of the tip shrinks it nicely.

EDIT: Electric soldering iron...

Only if you haven't got a hairdryer to hand though - as it seems to do a much better job.

just a thought, but I have, in the passed, used the side of the soldering iron tip to shrink the heatshrink material. NOT the tip, as this is much hotter and just melts it, but the side of the tip shrinks it nicely.

Only if you haven't got a lighter, or hairdryer to hand though - as the hairdryer seems to do a much better job.

Ideally you'll have a gas soldering iron to melt heat shrink, failing that using the side tip of an electric one is your next best option. I would never used a lighter for this!

Ideally you'll have a gas soldering iron to melt heat shrink, failing that using the side tip of an electric one is your next best option. I would never used a lighter for this!

good point - didnt think about the gas soldering irons - i'm always the t*t who runs a mains cable from his front door all the way along the path and down the drive to where the car is located, usually in bad weather too (neighbours think i'm mad) - a gas powered iron would be soo much easier ;)