The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU aint that much better so far!!!

jamesmark

Although I have had a few issues on the car of late, I was looking forward so much to BPU only to be let down so far.

Sure the turbos spool up a lot quicker and the exhaust note is very nice :D and it does feel nippy but with all the threads that I have read saying that BPU is amazing I just don't see it I have had a couple of members in my car that own TT's and they say my car pulls fine and at the right times but BPU imho aint much crack

So my question is so far I boost to 0.9 bar and thats putting the car through it's paces (Andy Hannah can vouch for this) my FCD is still get get hooked back up and set correctly then is it a boost controller to raise the boost to get that 1.2 bar?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't fitted an FCD nor upped the boost then the car is not anything like BPU. Hence why it doesn't feel so clever.

It is like saying that going single isn't as good as you thought after buying the parts but not yet fitting them :)

Mark im having the same problem at the moment except my fcd is fitted and working as are the rest of the bits (except fmic which is fitting in jan)

anyhow my restrictor ring diameter is only about 1.6 inches and needs widening out for it to allow more boost. have you tried to drive the car without the restrictor ring (carefully) and see if the boost rises nicely? dont overboost of course just keep a close eye on the boost gauge, and if you can hit 1.2 + then its just a case of messing with the ring.. ofcourse have the fcd sorted first though :)

Thats a lot of messing Maz tbh as per previously discussed on msn with ya the RR has a hole size of 2.2 inch, once I get fcd set correctly I thought it may just be as metioned above a boost controller to raise boost.

all good mate let me know how you get on. i spoke to someone on here aswell and he suggested that we take the ring off completely and take it for a drive keeping a close eye on the boost.

im quite liking the new aem boost controller though, may have to get me one after xmas :D

As has been said 0.9 is not much above stock. 1.2 is very different. Are all your hoses OK? With a 2.2 RR you should be hitting more than 0.9.You should certainly be hitting fuel cut with no cats.

Before I fitted my restrict or ring I hit 1.45, way beyond the turbo efficiency range, but quite quick. One did it a few times for fear of spitting turbo blades out the exhaust.

All hoses appear ok no leaks, but again will check that out. Apart from removing the RR and the boost controller route what other ways is there to raise the boost?

What else could be up? one thing I have got is a black oil type substance in the intercooler pipe that leads from the wing to the turbos.

So you plan on running a restrictor ring to keep boost down and then fit an expensive boost controller to up the boost? :blink:

It's a J-spec mate I have to have some back pressure as the stockers wont handle it, I think thats why I need a RR.

At least with this thread I am learning.

It's a J-spec mate I have to have some back pressure as the stockers wont handle it, I think thats why I need a RR.

At least with this thread I am learning.

You can't be BPU until you get rid of both cats.

No boost controller is required with a jspec. Once you are fully decatted you will need a restrictor ring to reduce boost to 1.2 bar. Without it you'll see 1.6 bar!

Edit - do you have both cats on or not, or did your sig change??

Normally J specs dont need a boost controller Mark. I always assumed they did, but the Wastegates are not big enough to accurately control the higher boost and so become overwhelmed.

Usually restrictor ring, FCD, double decat, free flowing exhaust, amybe an SMIC upgrade, and thats it.

N.B - this is NOT ALWAYS the case, and certainly a UK spec will need a boost controller :)

Im in the process of "fine tuning " my BPU ( this weather aint helping !! ) So far ive Decatted (both) Walbro fuel pump, Thor FCD, cooler spark plugs,

1st i ran with a 50mm RR and it gave 0.8 bar boost then

2nd i ran with a 60mm RR and it gave 1.0 bar boost now im running a 65mm RR and getting 1.1bar boost BUT i get Fuel or Over boost cut which im trying to dial out with my Thor FCD with the thinking of putting a boost controller in to "up" the boost when the weather warms up killing boost

Hope this helps guys

Cheers

Ian

So you plan on running a restrictor ring to keep boost down and then fit an expensive boost controller to up the boost? :blink:

This is the way I'd do it, ie. restrict boost to 1bar using the RR and then up the boost using a boost controller.

If you set the gain up on a boost controller, the turbos will spool up a fair bit quicker than without an EBC fitted.

You must have a leak, or something is deffo wrong.

I used to get 1bar with only the 2nd cat removed on my J-spec. So if you have both out which is BPU then there is a problem, as you should easily be seeing 1.2bar. 0.2 of bar will make a difference.

You have boost problems, somewhere. Id check all ya hoses for starters.