The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idle problems

Matt _Aero top_

Recently i've been having a few idle problems with the old supra.

it doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it starts to idle really low about 400 rpm .

but when its doing this if i turn the car off and then restart it after a second its ok idleing at about 700rpm.

its even stalled once when sat at the lights and knocked it into N .

Any ideas fellas as what to check or what to take off and give agood clean with electrical cleaner . :search:

Recently i've been having a few idle problems with the old supra.

it doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it starts to idle really low about 400 rpm .

but when its doing this if i turn the car off and then restart it after a second its ok idleing at about 700rpm.

its even stalled once when sat at the lights and knocked it into N .

Any ideas fellas as what to check or what to take off and give agood clean with electrical cleaner . :search:

hi mate i am not an expert or anything so this is only an idea but i once has idling problems with another one of my motors and sorted the problem with some new sparks and cleaning deposits off the distributor cap points, so if your sparks are getting on give it a go if they are new try checking the gap on them, not sure if that will help,

This might be a load of bollocks too but i have read that idling problems can sometimes be rectified by resetting the ecu, if you search on here you should find out how to do that

worth a try, cant harm anything

Firstly, check for fault codes bud, and whilst your there carry out a diagnostic check of the Lambda sensor (Oxygen sensor).

Make sure you have no vac leaks or any kinked vac lines, it may be wise to give the Idle Speed control valve a clean aswell.

See below for Component location, Lambda sensor check, Fault codes check.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35920

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35925

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35940

:)

• 5 months later...