The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Launching A Manual

terribleturner

Buggered if I know mate, but I think next time I will switch off the launch control and use my experience (uh oh :D) Launch control on the aem is all very well and good, but the pod stage so quickly, you can't build the boost.

The other thing is remembering to change quicker !

I will give it another go at the pod next year, when the car is finally ready - but I intend to do more trackdays next year :)

no idea if this works as ive not driven a manual, but a friend tells me that he gets his car revved up to the limit where the first turbo comes online, and then drops the clutch when its time to launch and says that it gives you a better launch because the first turbo kicks in straight away.. not sure how true/or not this is though as ive never tried it or seen him do it.

Buggered if I know mate, but I think next time I will switch off the launch control and use my experience (uh oh :D) Launch control on the aem is all very well and good, but the pod stage so quickly, you can't build the boost.

unless things have changed at Pod you can stay still to build boost and it won't affect your 1/4 time ie the clock doesn't start until you cross the timing beam.........ok it won't look good as the corsa next to burns off leaving you on the line but its the time that counts for you so you can delay and try and get a good/perfect launch............

try this thread james,some useful info on tyres,2 step launching etc.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302387

Cheers Rich, i actually completly forgot to search on SF, although the search button still isn't working :(

James, I think you need to hire out Bovvy again so you can practice your launches. Naturally Im happy to come along and practice with you on that large open airfield...:)

JB

Think Sabrina said the same thing last night :D Hopefully i'll be a pro at launching by the time Bovingdon happens next year :)

I found the best way to launch was to raise the revs to 3k,bring up to biting point or just below with handbrake raised,as soon as the lights go then release handbrake and off you go.

Hhhmmm, yeah may have to give the handbrake a try.

Not sure how it will work out with the single but here what I did with BPU and street tyres:

- Drop tyre pressure to 20 psi

- Get a good burnout (5-10 seconds) hehe, you can do this properly now :p

- Once staged, raise rpm to 4k

- Release the clutch to about 75% engaged and floor the throttle at exactly the same time

- Slip the clutch to until it fully bites (should be around 1 second or so)

- Full throttle change

Seems to work okay, but I'm far from an expert on this!

Tyre wise i will be getting some proper bad boys specially for the job :) So that's fine.

Boost wise im gonna probably get the car mapped to 1.4 t start with, possibly 1.6/7 once im happy handling the power.

Nice run down Daryll :) Unfortunatly the only thing missed out was the only thing im still not sure of :D Should i have the revs raised, holding the break and the back crouching?? Or should the break not be involved at all??

With the auto it was a very simple case of holding the brake, increasing the revs and then off. Do i do the same with the manual??

Leave the Breaks out of it and use the brakes instead ;)

Sssshhhhuuuttt iiitttttt!!!!! :p :D

But in an impreza, it was quite easy...

6000RPM, side step the clutch... Slightly better option, but can burn the clutch a bit is to release it with your foot really quickly....

Yeah that was my thought and what i tried the other night. Guess it'll be just practise to see what's the best combination.