The mkiv Supra Owners Club

-*-New Member Alert-*-

Guest Vanster

Guest Vanster

Hi Guys

Could someone help me out, been looking all over the net (told my girlfriend looking for a xmas present hor her)– and can’t find speeds for a non turbo supra import - SZ.

I know UK spec TT is about 0-60 in 5 secs top speed 170-180mph

But what kind of speeds will I get from an import SZ?

I really want the UK spec twin turbo as the insurance is lower £620 but can’t actually afford the car so looks like going to settle for the non turbo insurance £800+, I’m not looking at racing the car just want to make sure don’t get blown away by Nova’s – golf’s and that at the lights.

Cheers Vans

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vanster

Cheers,

A celica GT 96 - will max out at 137mph with 0-60 7.9secs i would have thought the supra would have been faster.

the GT4 is 160mph and 0-60 in 6.1secs.

I know the celica don't look as nice, but it cant be faster??? can it?

Vans

With limiter, without you are looking at 147mph and 0-60 of about 6.1

Max, I drove a 96 manual this week and it was painfully slow. No pick up in 2nd and 3rd at all. I got back in my 2 litre diesel Mondeo and felt that was faster.

Does the limited affect the 0 - 60 time?

H.

Max, I drove a 96 manual this week and it was painfully slow. No pick up in 2nd and 3rd at all. I got back in my 2 litre diesel Mondeo and felt that was faster.

Does the limited affect the 0 - 60 time?

H.

Something "very seroiusly wrong " with it then,

The NA is a quick car,its no TT ok, but there is a lot of slating of the NA which TBH it doesn't deserve, but remember most modern cars are much more technically advanced even Skylines and std TT's will not easily blow away some of the Modern cars like Seat Leons etc etc, A well set up NA in the right hands is a brisk car,

oh... ps.

Welcome to the club !!!!!!

Spot on Max. but lets face it "in the real world" on the road 6 secs is fast in anyones books and not to be sniffed at.

True and i like my NA........but a TT excels in the 30-80mph overtaking acceleration and is more awesome than adequate....

....in a TT nothing 'average' will have a chance against you.....different story in a NA..........

Don't do it..... buy a TT from the get go... :)

All too many N/A owners buy the N/A then regret it and sell up to go TT. You don't see it happening the opposite way, scooter excepted as he's a Supra tart lol.

For me, the insurance on an N/A Supra was twice the price of a TT import so don't think because it's slower that the insurance is cheaper.

Welcome to the club!

Cheers,

Brian.

Don't do it..... buy a TT from the get go... :)

All too many N/A owners buy the N/A then regret it and sell up to go TT. You don't see it happening the opposite way, scooter excepted as he's a Supra tart lol.

For me, the insurance on an N/A Supra was twice the price of a TT import so don't think because it's slower that the insurance is cheaper.

Welcome to the club!

Cheers,

Brian.

Not every NA owner wants to go for the TT, there is a friendly banter from the TT guys saying "its only an NA", but its a Supe. I enjoy my NA and I will do mods to eek out a few extra bhp, and thats it a few extra bhp. I don't want to spend silly money on trying to go all out. but I am after a useable daily driver, with the NA the power delivery is smooth and with the TT it is up to the first Turbo and BANG then up to the second turbo and BANG, its not something I want. There have been many tales of woe from TT drivers who have lost it and ended up with huge repair bills.

With 0-60 times between the TT and NA, what is 0.5 of a second in real life, about 30ft. I can live with that :)

but remember most modern cars are much more technically advanced even Skylines and std TT's will not easily blow away some of the Modern cars like Seat Leons etc etc

Now that is a :looney: remark...I think you have just :hang: yourself. A complete :jester: it must be said.....anyway, dont want to argue with you incase you throw out your :dummy:

I cant stop :haha: at that ; the mental picture of you that I have at the moment is :nyah:

:p

Not every NA owner wants to go for the TT, there is a friendly banter from the TT guys saying "its only an NA", but its a Supe. I enjoy my NA and I will do mods to eek out a few extra bhp, and thats it a few extra bhp. I don't want to spend silly money on trying to go all out. but I am after a useable daily driver, with the NA the power delivery is smooth and with the TT it is up to the first Turbo and BANG then up to the second turbo and BANG, its not something I want. There have been many tales of woe from TT drivers who have lost it and ended up with huge repair bills.

With 0-60 times between the TT and NA, what is 0.5 of a second in real life, about 30ft. I can live with that :)

A standard TT is exceptionally smooth in the way it delivers its power...... don't know where you get this bang bang stuff :eyebrows:

As for loosing it..... any Supra is classic recipe for disaster for your average FWD / 4WD driving digital right foot driver :Pling:

In real life the speed difference is even more vast than it appears on paper between a standard NA and TT - it's the mid range flexibility and massive torque that does it.... forget 0-60 times.

For the record, my 0-60 time is in the 4 second bracket - show me an NA that can claim the same :eyebrows:

I agree. I could afford a TT - I chose to buy an NA.

I think the people who buy NAs, regret it and sell later to buy a TT are the people who wanted (but couldn't afford) a TT in the first place (and it sounds like Vanster is one of these). But we're not all like that.

Technically - I am someone who bought a TT and later changed to an NA, but there was a gap of about 7 years in between....

Maybe with the TT/NA debate, age of the driver has some bearing? I don't know. I am 48 and quite happy with the NA, I wonder is it the younger members of the forum who have bought an NA, not being able to afford the insurance on a TT for example, then when they got a bit older went for the TT.

Oh tDR, the bang bang stuff was just a generalisation of the power delivery of the TT.

Now that is a :looney: remark...I think you have just :hang: yourself. A complete :jester: it must be said.....anyway, dont want to argue with you incase you throw out your :dummy:

I cant stop :haha: at that ; the mental picture of you that I have at the moment is :nyah:

:p

We are not talking on a race track but on the highways,

Some of the new breed hot hatches have to be seen to beleived in performance although do not boast huge BHP's

My friend has a 500+ bhp Skyline and has been suprised on a few occassions much to his dismay

Yes he'll blow em away over a large distance but not on general roads ,

The Seat Leon i mentioned is the "hot version" trust me you have a go at one in your TT and you'l be embarrased... yes you'll kill him eventually but over a short distance or down a dual carriage way and you think again what you've just wrote...

Maybe with the TT/NA debate, age of the driver has some bearing? I don't know. I am 48 and quite happy with the NA, I wonder is it the younger members of the forum who have bought an NA, not being able to afford the insurance on a TT for example, then when they got a bit older went for the TT.

Oh tDR, the bang bang stuff was just a generalisation of the power delivery of the TT.

I suspect you're right, and sadly my age supports your theory.

Although I'm still a lot younger than you. :p

In real life the speed difference is even more vast than it appears on paper between a standard NA and TT - it's the mid range flexibility and massive torque that does it.... forget 0-60 times.

This is sooooo true........

Overtaking in a TT is childs play......

Whilst i'm happy to stick up for the NA and certainly don't see it in as low a light as some, i would urge any "so far only an NA owner" that is even mildly curious as to what the fuss is about re a TT to at some point get one.........