The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few questions for you all :)

shimmydude

Am looking at a Supra and there was a few things i wondered about the car i looked at, so i was wondering if some of you guys could help me?:

What i was wondering:

Is there air con on a 1993 N/A

Is the HKS Exhaust for the supra loud

Is 75k reasonable millage for a supra on a 93 plate.

Is the N/A a reasonably quick car to drive. (know obviously it isnt as fast as the tt or as some other cars due to its size), but im thinking with a 3ltr engine it should be reasonably well powered.

Would appreciate your help guys, know you lot give great answers on here, one of the things that sets this place out from a lot of the rest :)

Many thanks

Chris

Is there air con on a 1993 N/A
Yep

Is the HKS Exhaust for the supra loud
Which HKS exhaust?

Is 75k reasonable millage for a supra on a 93 plate.
What do you mean by reasonable?

Is the N/A a reasonably quick car to drive.
No. Well I suppose it depends what you're used to and what you call quick :shrug:

By reasonable i mean is it the millage where lots of things start going wrong (like the dreaded 60k on rx7's) i know that is mianly because of the wankel engine but i didnt know if there was anything like that linked to supra's.

Which HKS can, well need to look it up a bit more i think so be a bit more accurate for you all (was doing that whilst waiting for a responce) but its looks a relativly short can with about a 4/5" slash cut tip.

Im used to driving a 2.0ltr mr2 and would call that "reasonably quick".

:)

oh also one other question, do Cobra seat subframes exsist for a supra?

thanks for your help so far Jake

Is the N/A a reasonably quick car to drive. (know obviously it isnt as fast as the tt or as some other cars due to its size), but im thinking with a 3ltr engine it should be reasonably well powered.

As long as you're not thinking 'quick's' killing everything within sight, and sucking the whole world behind you, you'll be happy with it. After a while you'll be wanting a turbo, but you'll still be content with it.

HKS's can be nearly as quiet as stock or a lot louder depends on the model, & if it has cats of not (you did'nt test drive then?)

75k is not a lot for a 13 yr old car, if they can prove to you thats what it is(unlikely on an jspec unless they have a BIMTA sheet), you can get them with say 35k to like 200k+. Compared to most cars an N/A would be quick, like mid to approaching high end hatchback quick, with a better top end.

Hope this helps

75k is not a problem mileage. The cambelt should be changed every 60k miles or every 5 years, whichever comes first. NA Supras can go on forever, they're even more reliable than TTs and there's plenty of TTs well over 100k (300k in one case)

My HKS Super Dragger was fooking loud when the car was decatted, my HKS Carbon/Ti is very quiet.

I imagine a 2ltr MR2 would be quicker than a NA Supra but I've never driven a MR2 so wouldn't know for sure. Why don't you just get a TT if you want a quick car?

Dunno about the Cobra seats.

[quote

My HKS Super Dragger was fooking loud when the car was decatted, my HKS Carbon/Ti is very quiet.

QUOTE]

I thought the Super Dragger was meant to very Quiet, it was top of my list for when i change my exhaust after doing a search.

Damn you for throwing a spanner in the works:tongue:

:shrug: the dragger on my Tipto was bloody loud. A really deep roar it made. Maybe it was knackered, the silencer didn't seem to do much silencing.

Come to think of it, the exhaust on my blue Supe is a Dragger too and that's really loud as well, but then it's a single turbo and they're all loud.

Thanks you guys, see we have a debate on the exhaust. :) I will try and find out some more about what model it is.

I would get a TT but the insurance is a fair bit more for me to go up to a TT.

Im not like obsessed with going fast, i dont really drive fast that often, just wanted to know it would be reasonable at overtaking cars and that (like the MR2 i know if i pull out to overtake, the car will do it easily) Its an N/A but it goes well. Just wanted to know if the N/A supra owners have the same "trust" in the car for thing like that.

Like the sound of the engine going on. Want a nice reliable car (why i was put off by the RX7. what with all that engine blowing up issue, and how its not the best for reliability even when the engine has been rebuilt. Not saying they are no good, just would like to have a car i can trust is not going to produce any majour issues :)

Im not like obsessed with going fast, i dont really drive fast that often, just wanted to know it would be reasonable at overtaking cars and that (like the MR2 i know if i pull out to overtake, the car will do it easily) Its an N/A but it goes well. Just wanted to know if the N/A supra owners have the same "trust" in the car for thing like that.

By the sounds of it an NA supra will suit you just fine, it will be similar to the MR2 just a little faster top end and a bit more playful at the rear but in a nicer way.....

whats your budget though? as changing to a TT later on will be expensive unless you get a well priced NA......

I think an NA will be fine for that.

I'm surprised at the difference in acceleration between my NA and my 911 - the NA makes almost as much power, but is significantly slower. No doubt because of it's size.

However, it definitely makes enough power to overtake pretty easily. I would be very frustrated if I was getting stuck behind traffic - but the NA doesn't have that problem at all. Mine makes enough power for me to be happy - I also wasn't after a super fast car (hence I didn't buy a turbo) - but I still wanted somethng quick and the NA meets my requirements fine.

Well my budget is 7.5k including insurance really. I would like to have a kitted supra, as yea im into that kinda thing (not boyracer or any of that rubbish, just like my cars to look different and stand out like).

Ive seen a nice car for around 5500 6k and with the insurance, preliminary quotes are coming back at 1400 for an N/A. With the TT, im getting quotes of 2400 (which aint bad at all, for what the car is!) But would kinda make it hard to find a good kitted Turbo then.

Like swings and roundabouts. lol

The description you gave Scooter makes it sound like its the car for me. Like the accleration on that on the mr2 so if the supra can roughly match that then improve on the top end as well then that would be great :). I know that getting a TT supra later would prove expensive as you gotta sell the N/A probly at a loss, then find a good TT (which isnt hard, especially with all the fine examples on here) but the bank is gonna have to produce some more money to get it.

Dave im loving the sound of the words "ultra reliable" and "only had to change back pads" lol :D Service well that is the norm so thats cool.

Dave K: your description sounds exactly like the current situation im in, and you chose N/A and answered with the answers i was hoping to hear. nice that you compared it with another car and was honest about the speed difference, but then the porcha is designed for totally going fast and is probly reasobly lighter than the supra.

Im not after supercar speed, just something that i know i have the speed if i need it :)

Well my budget is 7.5k including insurance really. I would like to have a kitted supra, as yea im into that kinda thing (not boyracer or any of that rubbish, just like my cars to look different and stand out like).

If you like the kits and wheels etc it makes sense to look out one with it already done as this will be less hassle and less expensive. There are for example x2 na's with Blitz Z1 technospeed wheels for 4-5K. These wheels would set you back £1K 2nd hand and £2K+ brand new so you can see the benefit of getting one that looks as you'd like from the off.........

....NA's are generally very reliable, i would pay specific attention on a test drive to clunks and suspension noises as these are potentially hard to diagnose and expensive if suspension arms etc are required........

.....also look at a few before buying.......

I think an NA will be fine for that.

I'm surprised at the difference in acceleration between my NA and my 911 - the NA makes almost as much power, but is significantly slower. No doubt because of it's size.

However, it definitely makes enough power to overtake pretty easily. I would be very frustrated if I was getting stuck behind traffic - but the NA doesn't have that problem at all. Mine makes enough power for me to be happy - I also wasn't after a super fast car (hence I didn't buy a turbo) - but I still wanted somethng quick and the NA meets my requirements fine.

My NA is manual with a few mods and does 0-60 in 6 secs so quick enough for just road use,

I drove a 911 Carerra today on my track day and wasn't that impressed TBH ,

Happy with my NA for everyday use, hits 100 and beyond fairly rapidly, is fairly frugal and is reliable so see no reason yet to upgrade,

At the end of the day its what you want, and you can only go so fast on the roads anyway..