The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo pressure sensor !

markjodrell

I was looking under the bonnet and came across a rubber pipe that was not connected to anything, this pipe was "sucking air"

it was t-junctioned to another pipe, the pipe in question was -looking at the engine from in front of the car , the left hand side there is a pipe coming down from the top , near the diagostics plug thingy, I now believe this to be the turbo pressure sensor.

So I think this is where a previous owner had a turbo boost guage connected.

I have now blocked that pipe off so its no long sucking air.

Does anyone know what the consequences would have been if it had been left sucking air ??? it was also causing the engine to rev too high on idle

am I correct in thinking this is where a turbo boost guage is connected from?:rolleyes:

Mark,

If you stand looking at the diagnostic port from the NSF wing position of the car, is the pipe you refer too on the left of the port (and a few cm's lower). Is so then there should be a natural T-junction pipe where the pressure pipe leads underneath to the Throttle Body.

We have no pics so this is hard but if you follow the pipe that leads from the catch tank and then attaches itself to the metal pipe that runs parallel to the manifold (and behind the diagnostic port), then once it passes the port to the left, it should run 'down' a few cm's before splitting in to a T-junction. The off-pipe should relay straight to the bottom rear of the TB (Right next to where the TB and manifold meet).

Hope this helps mucka

This is important mate, Have you got a pipe coming from the Turbo pressure sensor? and is it connected?

With JDM specs, if the MAP/Turbo Pressure Sensor is disconnected, this would cause you to run lean on boost and kill your engine (Jake, is a prime example i believe).

The vaccum pipe you just blocked off, try and trace it back and see where it is coming from. It may just be a feed for the Boost gauge, but until you find out, do not drive the car on boost.

the pipe coming from the turbo pressure sensor at the top is connected further down okay, its just that it looks like a t connection has been made in the pipe to maybe put a boost guage on or something, I heard a sissing noise and that pipe which was cut in wasnt connect, only just got the car so I assumed a previous owner had dissconnected something after market

should that pipe have a t junction a standard ??

the actual pipe is fully connected further down it just the pipe which is connected at the t junction which is blocked off, the question really is should the turbo senser pipe on be connected to one other outley ???

please help getting worried now

Is the pipe connected correctly? Has the T-Junction been removed?

Whilst you're there, just make sure that the vac hoses in the associated area are connected rigidly and they all have Jubilee clips or similar to hold the Vac pipes on...i.e they dont blow off under boost.

so do u think its okay,

to simlify, the pipe from the top connection leads down and is connected further down okay, all that happened is a T junction has been cut in and another pipe added which had been left open and sucking air, I have now put a bolt in the pipe and blocked it off , so in effect doesnt exist

Is this going to be alright like this??

so do u think its okay,

to simlify, the pipe from the top connection leads down and is connected further down okay, all that happened is a T junction has been cut in and another pipe added which had been left open and sucking air, I have now put a bolt in the pipe and blocked it off , so in effect doesnt exist

Is this going to be alright like this??

Assuming that the pipe you have blocked off was just an addition for monitoring boost etc.

You need to get pictures up of the surrounding area.

The Pipe from the Boost pressure sensor should also be Teed off to the Fuel pressure regulator and also the Manifold pressure reference outlet.

See this link for clarity.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13939&d=1112558977

Assuming that the pipe you have blocked off was just an addition for monitoring boost etc.

You need to get pictures up of the surrounding area.

The Pipe from the Boost pressure sensor should also be Teed off to the Fuel pressure regulator and also the Manifold pressure reference outlet.

See this link for clarity.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13939&d=1112558977

right , but should there just be one pipe leading from the top to the bottom, it then may go else where, all I really need to know for now ir should there just be one pipe leading from the turbo sensor at the top to the connection at the bottom with no further t junctions in the particular pipe, cheers

Mark

right , but should there just be one pipe leading from the top to the bottom, it then may go else where, all I really need to know for now ir should there just be one pipe leading from the turbo sensor at the top to the connection at the bottom with no further t junctions in the particular pipe, cheers

Mark

Yup, just the one pipe leading to the Boost pressure, Just make sure that the FPR vac pipe and Mainfold presure outlet are all connected too.

Isn't that tee'd off the power-steering reference hose? If so then there is no reason at all to worry, it'll be fine blocked off.

If you're not too far away (I see you're in Staffs), pop over Burton-way some time and I'll have a look in comparison to mine.

The FPR is on the other side, so this might be a false alarm

Im just making aware of what may happen if the Vac pipes are not connected correctly, the FPR is on the same side of the engine as the Boost pressure sensor but just further along, it's teed with the Boost pressure Vac. Atleast mine is anyway.

Hey,

I think all you guys out there are absolutley brilliant, you take the care to answer ignoramoses like me with my daft questions, but its so important to the likes of ME who dont know a supra from planet mars, now then, if you need to know about a Vectra 2ltr sri Im you man.

I wish you lived next door to me :eyebrows: :) :blink:

BEST TENNER EVER SPENT:) :) :) :) :)

To be fair , does any one know a supra guru/expert near stoke-on-trent staffs, I have visited a couple of so called experts who have not got a clue , Really........

anyway thanks very much, all my issue was that this pipe had been cut into , I dont think anything else has been affected , I just needed to know if blocking off that cut in pipe was the right thing to do, I may get it changed tomorrow to take the t junction out,so do u think that will be okay now than, I just need the reassurance

Incidently there is a company / tuner near me called turbo systems at Chesterton/Talke anyone know anything about them ??/

thanks again to you guys, u know who u are

Mark

The photograph shows the other side of the intake, next to the diagnostic plug.

A leak there wouldn't blow up the engine, just make noise and create an annoying leak. It is a much safer location to plug a boost gauge compared to the one shown on mkiv.com

Hi Jon

this is the pipe in question on the same side as the diadnostic plug just a couple of inches nearer the front of the car, thts the pipe which had the t cut in , I have now blocked the t cut pipe off , so the suction is uninterupted from top to bottom.

So what is thar pipe for , next to the diagnostic button as shown in my photo ????

There are lots of such pipes around, not all are used in every version of the engine.

Trace it to where it goes, that's the best route.

Mine has got pipes going to EGR, power steering, what have you...

The only one not to be used is the FPR one, everything else is relatively safe.

There are lots of such pipes around, not all are used in every version of the engine.

Trace it to where it goes, that's the best route.

Mine has got pipes going to EGR, power steering, what have you...

The only one not to be used is the FPR one, everything else is relatively safe.

hi John

I am pretty sure that this pipe was cut into for the boost guage, I have now blocked off the extra pipe, therefore there is a straight connection from top to bottom with the pipe coming off the t junction blocked. I have also manage to look at a 1993 TT (mine a prefacelift 1996) that just has a single pipe from top to bottom so I am fairly satisfied that it is as it should be now