The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Foam Injection modelling

Ark

Styofoam is your best bet mate, but it depends what model you're making and what spec you need.

Try these guys, custom size cuttings available.

http://www.peninsulaplastics.co.uk

Good luck.

Greg

EDIT:

Blue foam is one option too and is fairly easy to work with if your ok with using the bandsaw and sander.Are you going to paint it Ark? If so, you need to be prime to protect even if it is foam. Car body spray will just melt the foam without some form of protection!... however it can look a bit rough if you don't fill with body filler, this can be a time consuming process alone.. need to apply and sand smooth and apply etc etc

Another other option you could use which I came across on a forum recently is using foam card (Black or white).Again, this is easy to work with at home (no need for workshop) and all you need is just a sharp scapel / ruler and plan of how to construct. Get the model glued together using a hot wax gun if possible.

"Tip below of how to cut for curves etc. Cut wedges on inside of foam, being careful not to cut right through the card. The closer the wedges the smoother the bend so to speak, could cover with high gloss black thin facuum form sheet, available from the workshop. Join edges using 45 degree cuts.

Thanks for that.

I want to create the general shape of the part in foam, then take a moulding from it and make the actual part in fibreglass, but I need something soft but firm to take the original shaping without too much effort.

Hi mate,

When I develop products I design it in 3D and then bring the dimensions to some high density modeling foam (the name leaves me right now) anyhow it is light blue in colour and can be cut via band saw / sanded / turned / you can even use a rasp on it. Its great for small detail and if you design it right you can use the finished form as a mould for vacume forming products from.

Or you can use finishing filler all over the surface and have it sprayed up to look like a 100% genuine prototype unit.

That is defo the stuff you should be looking at using.

Then you need a pattern makers to replicate you design into wood etc.. etc.. etc..

need ay advise just pm me :)

That's an, erm, interesting build...hahaha!

I have slightly more modest ambitions!! Probably just a pipe-dream at the moment...I probably won't get around to pulling my finger out and doing anything with it, but there you go.

Thanks for the input guys.