The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra NA Super or normal!

dibbleyuk

I tried both fuels and found she doesn't like normal unleaded. she's too sluggish so i have been sticking to super unleaded and she runs fine. Gonna stick with the "good stuff"!! LOL

I'd get your ignition timing checked, You may have had a importer or garage that was under the misconception to retard the ignition thinking it was nessasay when using UK fuel

Makes no difference using Higher octane apart from you might and thats a big might get slighlty better mpg,

I use 95 Ron and it flys and no pinking or anything and still get average 24mpg around town and upto 36mpg on a long run

oh rite cool, i was told that by Jai who owned the car before.

i was always told any jap import is designed and built to run on high octane fuel so you shouldnt put basic unleaded in them.

only if it has a Turbo

Jap Import Scoobies are the worst culprits as they are all borderline blow up unless correctly mapped,, bye bye Piston No 4 they need a minimum 103 octane even on our 98 99 ron on boost they are detonating,

Suprires me all the money those owners spend on FMIC etc and they don't do the basics first like ECU upgrade and Re map so the engine will last,

Alot of this Jap High octane fuel is a myth... there was a very interesting thread on here by a fuel scientist..

I'd get your ignition timing checked, You may have had a importer or garage that was under the misconception to retard the ignition thinking it was nessasay when using UK fuel

Makes no difference using Higher octane apart from you might and thats a big might get slighlty better mpg,

I use 95 Ron and it flys and no pinking or anything and still get average 24mpg around town and upto 36mpg on a long run

Might just do that then. It was Vineplace i bought it from who have been importing for years so i would imagine they know what they're doing.

Might just do that then. It was Vineplace i bought it from who have been importing for years so i would imagine they know what they're doing.

Its certainly worth a look at and perhaps get it serviced new plugs etc etc, when set up properly the NA is not sluggish also do a ECU reset as it may have been used to pottering around in heavy traffic in Japan,

Remember the NA needs to be revved the magic 5500 rpm is when it comes on Cam, yet with my Air intake (by Turbofit) she wakes up at 3500rpm now and pulls in every gear ( I have a manual ) also if you have a induction kit make sure you have a cold air feed and heatsheild otherwise your just sucking warm air which reduces power

HEATSHEILD.jpg

2. New hardpipe 1.jpg

PIPE INTAKE.jpg

Its certainly worth a look at and perhaps get it serviced new plugs etc etc, when set up properly the NA is not sluggish also do a ECU reset as it may have been used to pottering around in heavy traffic in Japan,

Remember the NA needs to be revved the magic 5500 rpm is when it comes on Cam, yet with my Air intake (by Turbofit) she wakes up at 3500rpm now and pulls in every gear ( I have a manual ) also if you have a induction kit make sure you have a cold air feed and heatsheild otherwise your just sucking warm air which reduces power

As far as i know, its completely standard. Standard airbox, wheel s, the lot. I too have been told that imported/jap vehicles run better on super unleaded than unleaded. My mate, who has a Almera GTI also notices the difference(He's a mechanic, so i hope he knows what he's talking about lol). He reckons the car doesnt run as good as it should with unleaded. He'll only use super. I certainly feel a difference too. The majority of people i know with imported cars also think this way which is quite confusing if its all just a myth. sorry for being so niave but its just strange when so many people think/know the same way.

slightly off topic but I remember my N/A coming to life around the 5k mark (auto) my MR2 N/A's were the same and have to say that fitting an induction kit may have helped the breathing or made a better noise but it didn't make it "come on cam" at any earlier!

Don't get me wrong, not calling you a liar :) but do you know what activates the 2nd cam normally and why fitting your induction kit would change anything?

I would just like to know from a tech point of view :)

slightly off topic but I remember my N/A coming to life around the 5k mark (auto) my MR2 N/A's were the same and have to say that fitting an induction kit may have helped the breathing or made a better noise but it didn't make it "come on cam" at any earlier!

Don't get me wrong, not calling you a liar :) but do you know what activates the 2nd cam normally and why fitting your induction kit would change anything?

I would just like to know from a tech point of view :)

Sorry I may have confused or misinterpreted there, It doesn't come on cam earlier but is much more responsive from 3500rpm, you still get the on cam at 5500rpm but you lose the slight sluggishness leading upto it,

From 3500 with my set up the car just goes pulls hard from 3500 all the way up it sort of "surges" is the best way i'd describe it really,

Not sure if there is a cam (as its not a vitec type set up) i think the term comes on cam @ 5500 is when it hits its power band perhaps, Most NA owners call it the "magic 5500"

Ah the make more noise go faster placebo affect ;) :D

Sorry just picked it up wrong from your post, funny as when i stuck my HKS on it made it worse :( put a TOMS panel filter on and it seemed to pull a lot better than before.

Cheers

Nice sound yes.. but more responsive, its not a sound feels faster thing.. but understand what you mean

The missus went out in it the evening i had it fitted and didn't know i'd had it done that afternoon, when she returned she asked what i'd done to the car.. i immediatley thought something was wrong until she said it drove so much better and picked up very quickly,

The HKS kit you put on was that on the Supe or the MR2 ??

MR2 has real issues trying to get cold Air in to the filter (you see those huge Air intakes fitted on the roofs ) My mate is having same prob at the moment with his Turbo MR2

The Supe should have been ok "if" you put a heatsheild and cold air feed..

Stay away from HKS Panel filters they are worse than the green mushroom ones, they fall to bits..

The HKS kit you put on was that on the Supe or the MR2 ??

MR2 has real issues trying to get cold Air in to the filter (you see those huge Air intakes fitted on the roofs ) My mate is having same prob at the moment with his Turbo MR2

The Supe should have been ok "if" you put a heatsheild and cold air feed..

Stay away from HKS Panel filters they are worse than the green mushroom ones, they fall to bits..

HKS Mushroom was on the Supra, same as yours. Air scoops on the MR2 is just a gimmick, not needed on the tubby, actually screws the air flow up ;)

This has probably been asked before but whats better for a NA? A panel filter or induction kit? Keep hearing panel filters but then asked the guy at Fensport and he reckons induction kit. Had induction kits before but it just seems to make noise! and i aint paying £200 odd quid for noise. I can pay my mate to hang out the window and make the same noise for a tenner lol

asked the guy at Fensport and he reckons induction kit.

Because it costs more :D

Panel filter all the way, unless you do what Blitz has done and create a shield around the filter if not then just a waste of money (no offence Blitz but still prefer the panel :) ).

Try having a search on it, loads of posts and all say the same thing :)