The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My cars been written off by the insurance company!!

johnd-mkiv

Following this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=77728&highlight=usc

I have just be told by my garage who were going to repair the car that its uneconomical to repair??? its only needs a new wing front bumper and wheels. They have estimated it at over 3k then I told them how much the wheels are worth and the front bumper (if it was a genuine one:) ) now they have phoned back to say its a write off.

Not been in this possition before but have been told that they are sending me a letter to tell me how much they are going to offer me for the car and what I can buy it for salvage. I want to keep the car as I know theres nothing wrong with it and ive spent a lot of time and money getting it how I want it. Sure I read somewhere that you can dispute the offer if the price they offer is too low?? also what would you do in my position

any help would be appreciated ;)

Dont know if a decision to write it off can be argued against, (Edited to clarify my opinion...) but its worth a try even if it means cancelling the claim if you can and sorting yourself.

If not, you may be lucky...decent offer for settlement and right to buy it back at 10% of insurance value. Get her fixed up and re-registered as a category D. Take photos of damage and keep engineers report for when / if you sell her again, so that buyer knows what went on to deserve a cat D. Not really that bad, unless they offer you a silly low settlement. Offers can be argued against using details of similar Supras for sale etc.

Can't beleive they've written it off. It looks nowhere near bad enough. Pisses me off to see things like this. IMO it shouldn't be a right off.

I know I think I could repair it my self for less than £500 so what I get extra will be going towards project single :eyebrows: Just looking at my options to basically get the most out of them as I can

Personally I'd fight that and find a garage that will repair it at a sensible price and not have it written off. Not good on the history.

Agreed. It'll be Cat D so basically worthless. Even if you do then go single the car won't be worth anything on resale mate. Not worth it IMO.

They did a catogary d on my car when it was destroyed (I think this means it has to go in a crusher) and It clearly didn't as the engine and ancilliaries were in excellent nick. - after I complained because I wanted to buy it back they changed it to catagory C - then wanted 3.5k. They just figured out they could get good money for it.

Do you have to use the insurance? cant you just tell them to stick it and fix it yourself? - not even involve them.

You'd have to pay an x/s if you did anyway. The damage looks minor...

They did a catogary d on my car when it was destroyed (I think this means it has to go in a crusher) and It clearly didn't as the engine and ancilliaries were in excellent nick. - after I complained because I wanted to buy it back they changed it to catagory C - then wanted 3.5k. They just figured out they could get good money for it.

You sure you've got that the right way round, wasn't it a CAT C, you complain and they change it to CAT D.

Only reason is that a CAT D is "better" than a CAT C.

A Category C or D write-off is one that insurers consider unecomonical to repair but one that could, given enough time in the workshop, be repaired and returned to the road.

Category A and B should never be returned to the road. A Category B write off is one that is so badly damaged it can only be used for the salvaging of spare parts, while a Category A is one that is sent to the crusher.

true - I can't remember which way round it was C to D or D to C, but I know it was crusher bound until I let on it was worth something as spares. the car was definately toast though but the engine and gearbox was very low milage, and the car had a lot of value in the spare parts alone.

Every part of the insurance game is a negociation and I'm sure there are more than a few dodgy deals going on here and there...

tell them to stick there offer up their arse a front wing costs only about £120 tops if i remember ( the figure 117 sounds dead on )

speak to steve manley and a front wing spray job dosnt cost that much even if you did it your self till you get some cash together

I AM SICK OF INSURANCE COMPANIES DOING THIS

tell them to stick there offer up their arse

That sums it up nicely

No way is that a write off, mine had far more damage and got it repaired for under £1200. You do not want a cat D on your hands otherwise you'll always end up with a car worth 66% of its 'real' value.

Fight them all the way and make sure they get a body shop who know what they're doing ot quote this time!

To be honest Im not to bothered about it being a catigory wright off with most modified cars they are worth more in bits than to sell as a whole car. think im just going to see what they have to offer me and go from there I was tempted to just say give me the 3k thats been estimated and i repair it

Please ask for a copy of the estimate. It shouldnt have much more than a new front bumper, new alloy, 4 wheel allignment, new wing. Paint front bumper and wing. Blend bonnet and door.

I could see it adding up to 3k quite easily. Dont forget things like wheel arch covers. They will have put down for new ones of those!

Please ask for a copy of the estimate. It shouldnt have much more than a new front bumper, new alloy, 4 wheel allignment, new wing. Paint front bumper and wing. Blend bonnet and door.

I could see it adding up to 3k quite easily. Dont forget things like wheel arch covers. They will have put down for new ones of those!

I did have one but they took it back, it had new head lights, indecators, bumper, wheels, wing, inner arches ect they have racked it up but then I wernt going to complain

over 3K i would want the whole car sprayed for that the geezer that did the work on mine let me help and he was really good at what he did he even sprayed both wings and skirts and flushed the drivers side wing and that wasnt on the estimate

he really took care of the car his garage was out in the middle of no where and the only person i think i could direct to him would be Dee RZ coz he lives in Honington