The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car not starting properly

Guest Glasgow_bhoy

Guest Glasgow_bhoy

my suep doesnt start properly, when i enter the key and try to start it just makes a click noise, i noticed last week the terminals on my battery were loose, so i tightened them, and now after a few attempts the car starts, but it takes a few minutes to get it started after a few attempts.....i dont know if it is maybe the battery is goosed, or maybe a starter motor or something to do wiht the ignition......anyone had any similar problems :(

Guest Glasgow_bhoy

lucifer i thought that myself, it just clicks right through the ignition adn does nothing, after a few attempts it will start, last week one of the terminals popped right of the battery so i tightneend both and it does start but after a few attempts

I had a similar if not identical problem a few months back mate. Does the engine not turn over at all and do the dash lights flicker?

I think it's more a dead batt problem than starter motor, but that's based on the problem I had with similarities to yours pal.

Put the Batt on full charge for the day/night and see how she goes in the morning. Get someone to check the alternator readings if she does start again to make sure that's OK before looking at replacing the starter.

Good luck.

Greg

EDIT: Loose terminals, starts after a few attempts, it must be the battery, or a loose starter motor connection. Used to have this problem in my old, old fiesta where the wiring from starter popped out.

Guest Glasgow_bhoy

greg the engine doesnt turn over at all, the lights flick from being on to going off....i think it s a battery problem myslef, will have a look to see if i can get it sorted, cheers for the info troops

Hmmm, so it might not be a dead battery then mate if it a) doesn't turn over and b) then suddenly starts.

Must be loose terminals then or as stated by the more techy proficient people above, the start motor missing a few beats.

You certainly won't get a heavy repair bill for that pal. A charge of the battery, perhaps new terminal plugs or a second hand/new start, won't be that expensive.

In fact - have you had an aftermarket battery fitted as I know the battery lugs on these are different to the J-spec leads that attach to the japanese battery terminals. This is something Chris Wilson sorted out for me when he fitted my new batt mate. Worked perfectly after that - apart from my sodding alarm that I'm gonna have ripped out as it's draining the batt and being a git.

Good luck mate.

Guest Glasgow_bhoy

greg

the way i have to get it started is after 3 or 4 attempts, removing the key each time and trying, i think it might be the starter missing the beats thing you mentioned, i tightened the battery terminals last week so they are ok now, were abouts is the starter motor located....

Yep then, sounds as though that's the problem.

Surely when a starter motor goes though, it goes completely and isn't tempermental like yours sometimes starting, right everyone? Just check the wiring first mate to see. I haven't got a clue where the starters located on a Supre, but post this in technical and they'll help. ;)

Yep then, sounds as though that's the problem.

Surely when a starter motor goes though, it goes completely and isn't tempermental like yours sometimes starting, right everyone? Just check the wiring first mate to see. I haven't got a clue where the starters located on a Supre, but post this in technical and they'll help. ;)

not necessarily mate.

i had an old rover which when sometimes trying to start would just click rather than turning over.

turned out the brushes or whatever they are inside were worn and not making a good enough contact.

sometimes moving the car forward slightly would allow it to turn over and start.......very strange though :D

not necessarily mate.

i had an old rover which when sometimes trying to start would just click rather than turning over.

turned out the brushes or whatever they are inside were worn and not making a good enough contact.

sometimes moving the car forward slightly would allow it to turn over and start.......very strange though :D

Strange indeed mate. As mentioned my fiesta had a wiring problem, but that was it - the starter itself was fine. I know about the bushes, but again, thought once they were shot that was it. Can you refurb starters?

hi,also having same probs with my starter all last week.had to roll car forward each time to start it ,after 3or4 turns it would start. however started first time in the last 5 days???? expect its on its way out.anyone know how much 4 recon?how easy to fit??