The mkiv Supra Owners Club

overdrive & front spoiler problem

markjodrell

Hi

just got my first supra tt , 1996 pre facelift, silver 18 deep dish wheels and large back box , overwise std.

This will sound obvious to all you experienced owners... the overdrive switch, where is it , is it the switch that makesthe manu light come on on the dash, looking at previous threads apart fron excluding 4 gear when off theres no difference , so what is the point.

Also, when I got the car the front spoiler wouldnt drop when the button was pressed, then after switching auto on/off and manual down etc etc for some reason it came down (while staionery) is there some magic process to follow before it drops as I cannot get it to grop again, how can you tell if it comes down auto when driving ?, ie what position do the switch have to be in etc, and at what speed is it supposed to drop automatically.

Lastly , any one got any ideas where to get the wire, (Jag style)

mesh grill from , I have seen a few around ?

cheers

Mark

Welcome Mark, hope your enjoying the car.

Right, over drive. This button is just below the big button (that allows you to move handle from park to drive) on the side of the gear handle. As your new to the supra, also be aware that this button will not make the car any faster, it just turns off 4th gear, so the car will only go up to about 120 ish. But there are good uses for it. Do a search on over drive and you will have lots to read.

The active spoiler cannot be delpoyed manually whilst driving. It automatically comes down when you go over 60 mph and then goes back up when you slow down to about 40mph. The spoiler down button will have a green light lit when it is down.

If you are stationary, with the engine off but keys in ignition position 2, you can then press the spoiler down button. Just makes it look better when parked up! :)

There are ways to put the spiler down and then remove the fuses for it so it stays down always, up to you. But be advised it could well catch on speed humps.

BIG thanks for the replies....

going back to the overdrive,, do all tts have it? I drove 100 miles from picking it up and never noticed this o/d button, how do u know when its on , does a light come on on the dash what does it say?

The switch to the left of the auto gear stick, when pressed the MANU light comes on, whats that for?

Thanks again

Mark

ps

I am sure all these daft questions will become obvious in time, I am working away from home till Friday , so basically I picked the car up , parked it then got in my trusty Vectra and drove 200 miles to work, cant wait to play on Friday.

all auto TT's have the over drive, not sure about NA's. When it is off, a light will display on either the rev gauge or speedometer, cant remember which, saying O/D off, which bascily means, 4th gear is off.

The MANU button puts the car in manual mode, well as close as the auto can get to a manual mode, it basicly allows you to keep the box in any chosen gear. Again mate, do a search on manu, will be loads of interesting stuff to read. :)

Welcome Mark, hope your enjoying the car.

Right, over drive. This button is just below the big button (that allows you to move handle from park to drive) on the side of the gear handle. As your new to the supra, also be aware that this button will not make the car any faster, it just turns off 4th gear, so the car will only go up to about 120 ish. But there are good uses for it. Do a search on over drive and you will have lots to read.

The active spoiler cannot be delpoyed manually whilst driving. It automatically comes down when you go over 60 mph and then goes back up when you slow down to about 40mph. The spoiler down button will have a green light lit when it is down.

If you are stationary, with the engine off but keys in ignition position 2, you can then press the spoiler down button. Just makes it look better when parked up! :)

There are ways to put the spiler down and then remove the fuses for it so it stays down always, up to you. But be advised it could well catch on speed humps.

THANKS very much for the info , I would NEVER have got the front spoiler sorted, it works fine when you know how :) :)

Wonder why it can not be put down manually with the engine running ??????:search: :search:

yet again thankyou for all your help.