The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Baby seats in a Supra??

Jim_1979

I know this has been discussed a few times, but after searching I didn't find anyone discussing rearward facing seats.

I have a 1 week old girl and was wondering if anyone has ever fitted a rearward facing seat in a Supra??

Important

Also I noticed loads of people saying that the britax trio is a good seat for forward facing and sits in the Supra fine. Also people saying that it is recommended etc.

Please!! From looking at pictures of this seat fitted into a Supra it is not suitable for the car!! It suffers from something called buckle crunch.

Yep I did in mine. Fits in both the front and rear seat. I had a graco travel system with a stay in car base that the baby carrier clipped in and out of. If only baby and driver use the car its a doddle with it on the front seat. None of the early supras have passenger airbags do they? If mother, father and baby in the car then yeah its a bit of a pita to lean into the back but the seat base versions just clip in and out so no great hardship a burly guy cant handle.

I actually found that you had quite a few options for rearward-facing seats. The only limit was the length of the rear seatbelts, which mean you are limited to seats which boast "alternative seatbelt routing".

I'm afraid none of them fit absolutely perfectly on the base of the seat, beacuse of the depth of the bucket, but with the passenger seat set back onto it (reduces the legroom for the front passenger by a little bit), the seat is secured absolutely rigid - more securely, in fact, than I've seen anything short of an ISOFix get. They were more than happy at the Mothercare store where I got it and at the Halfrauds store where I tried a few out (depending on how far you trust both of these, of course!).

It's a real pain getting the seat in and out, mind - I have to pop the seat into the back on the passenger side, then go round and lean backwards from the driver's seat to actually get the think strapped in properly.

In the end, the one I got was part of the Mothercare "Urban Detour Xtreme" Travel System.

If I get a chance, I'll take a few piccys of the seat in place if you like?

Brain's solution sounds good. I tried a couple of fixed-base seats, but found that they either didn't secure tightly, or they didn't leave enough legroom in the front. Didn't try the Graco, though, and from the looks of their website, it looks like they do a range of "compact" travel systems, which sound like just the thing!

With the bucket seat nature of the rear seat you need to get a piece of thick furniture foam the high density stuff and boost that area to make the seat base sit level. Once clipped in and that passenger seat is put back that baby seat is going no-where.

But at the end of the day its you guys are the parents and its what you want and feel comfortable with that counts, not the opinion of your mother in law (she'll have a few I can guarantee you) or a bloke on the forum, or some bloke down the pub. Go with what makes you feel right.

Yep - I have been through that stage and its ok so long as you get the right seat. Like Mr Dangerous Brain says - you need to pad up the bucket depth for the seats - then no problem......

Untill there legs grow and they kick mud on the back of your seats !! grrr lol

Mine fitted great in the back. Couldn't fit to the front as I have an airbag on the passenger side. Seat belt was a bit tight but no real problem.

Can't remember what it was exactly but it was made by Graco and was a three in one type thing.

That was 20 months ago :blink: She now sits in a booster seat in the front shouting "Go, Go" which I can only take to mean "faster" :D

• 2 months later...

Bump. So if the Supra was your only car which baby seat and even pushchair would you guys recommend.

At the moment we're considering...

- Britax Voyaga travel system

- Mamas and Papas Pliko travel system

- Jane Slalom with rebel car seat

- Jane Matrix car seat (lie flat jobby)

Any other recommended baby going out equipment?

Ta!