The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo choice

RobSheffield

Put this in here as it isnt overly technical

I have done about 6 of these kinda threads, but in the past i wasnt quite as clued up. id like some advice please on turbo types.

Essentially i am looking at either a T67 or perhaps a T61

My question is....

Do they do a T61 with a large A/R or called P or Q trim?

What sort of power and spool would the following approx produce/give? (AEM management, HKS rail, Greddy 2 row for now, 720 injectors possibly ~800cc, 3" DP and exhaust, likely PHR/BL exh manifold)

T61 P trim

T61 Q trim

T67

T67 P trim (or GTS?)

T67 larger - i hear it may be called Q trim (or GTQ?)?

Rob im sure you already know this, but take a look at Matt Harwood's setup especially if your 6 Speed.

I have taken a ride in it and absolutely loved it, it spools quicker than my BPU (Im 6 speed running TTC).

The only thing i would probably change is the A/R rating form 0.81 to 0.67.

I would still be looking at 500BHP ATW on low boost.

If you are asking for a detailed breakdown of how fast each turbo spins up depending what gear you are in and what setup you have I doubt if that's ever going to roll up I'm afraid. Cam choices can affect spool as well, and any boost characteristics will be affected by what target pressure you want as well. It's a hearsay minefield out there.

Your fuel system will easily support any of those choices, so really it's up to how you want the car to behave. I'm not sure what the differences are between the trim specs, I don't think it's that great a change is it?

-Ian

If you are asking for a detailed breakdown of how fast each turbo spins up depending what gear you are in and what setup you have I doubt if that's ever going to roll up I'm afraid.

-Ian

I remembered that point from last time actually :p

What i kind of wondered was for a given engine, cams, setup etc, what comparative spool/power would be avalable.

I will be honest, as my interest and knowledge in the field increase, i know that im not THAT interested really what power i develop, never really have been, but i would like response. What i mean by that is i dont want to gain power at the expense of massive lag, but id like power around the 600 hp figure I dont particularly want a DBB that is water cooled, id prefer oil cooled.

Im not fond of the GT35R (although i once wanted one), and i dont want anything giving less than around 600 hp (yes, i know i just said i dont care about the power, but its a target point!)

I remembered that point from last time actually :p

What i kind of wondered was for a given engine, cams, setup etc, what comparative spool/power would be avalable.

I will be honest, as my interest and knowledge in the field increase, i know that im not THAT interested really what power i develop, never really have been, but i would like response. What i mean by that is i dont want to gain power at the expense of massive lag, but id like power around the 600 hp figure I dont particularly want a DBB that is water cooled, id prefer oil cooled.

Im not fond of the GT35R (although i once wanted one), and i dont want anything giving less than around 600 hp (yes, i know i just said i dont care about the power, but its a target point!)

If you want 600bhp as a daily power figure you want a T67 sized turbo, a 61 will be under some duress to achieve that. If you want it as the headline power figure but on a daily basis run less boost and power then you might get away with a T61.

Not sure about your reasoning for not having a DBB, you say you want response and power, you get a long way towards that by going DBB and setting up a water jacket feed isn't that arduous and it's just as good as oil cooling (of which you get some with DBB as well) :search:

I've added a picture of what I think you are after ;)

-Ian

moononstick.jpg