The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Conversion Question?

mwilkinson

Want to change the colour of my dials, I bought a Thor (Metal Monkey) steel dial set with a blue backing, but the light is quite dull and not very well dispersed.

So.... I want to install LED to make them brighter but i have a few questions?

1. What LED's should I use, that is to say what brightness?? 1500mcd/4000mcd or I have seen 8000mcd neon blue LED's???

2. Has anyone used the Ultraleds.co.uk direct bulb replacements. If so what was the result, any pictures?

3. How have people resolved the poor diffusion of light issue with LED's. I have see a diffusion material available from the metal monkey site. Anyone tried this??:search:

Lots of questions as usual but any advise would be great. Before anyone says have you looked at hecklers site (I think it's his) then I have but it does not answer these question.

Being a good sport I will photograph my dash conversion and the various results (Hopefully will be done over the christmas period) once finished.

Ta

yup - my site :)

1. What LED's should I use, that is to say what brightness?? 1500mcd/4000mcd or I have seen 8000mcd neon blue LED's???

the brighter the better - ones i use are 7000mcd

2. Has anyone used the Ultraleds.co.uk direct bulb replacements. If so what was the result, any pictures?

I'm not 100% on these, They'll work for the dash cluster, but not the hester control, as these relie (SP?) on the 360 dg diffusion of the bulb to light up the buttons.

3. How have people resolved the poor diffusion of light issue with LED's. I have see a diffusion material available from the metal monkey site. Anyone tried this??:search:

If you use my guide, you wont have any diffusion issues. I'm not be big-headed about this, but i have put alot of time an effort to eliminate problems like this

Heckler - Cheers mate. I will go for the 8000mcd ones and instal as instructed on your site.

TrickTT - Again cheers mate, I'll get a sufficiently wide angled LED to help.

Heckler - Sorry to stray a little but your in the RAF right?? Based out of RAF Odiham. The reason I ask is that I was posted there 2-3years back. Hows things!!

Heckler - Cheers mate. I will go for the 8000mcd ones and instal as instructed on your site.

Heckler - Sorry to stray a little but your in the RAF right?? Based out of RAF Odiham. The reason I ask is that I was posted there 2-3years back. Hows things!!

lol

yup, i'm marham - currently in afghan, but want odiham...

Thats shit mate..sorry to hear your over there!!!! Working you to your bones I take it.

I PVR'd about a year and half back, travelling was killing my marriage!! I still miss all my mates though, loved the people just not the job (especially the postings abroad).

Odiham is a great place, just not if your a junior rank living in the tempory accomodation on the old caravan site....lol

Odiham still a poo hole?? You aren't the guy with the MSB one I saw in the gym car park one day were you?