The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra fuel consumption

Guest msjeal

Hello all, my first post on here. I currently own another great toyota, a 1994 mr2 n/a (173bhp) and am looking to get something with a lot more low down torque. I'm thinking a supra n/a (think its a sz) would fit the bill. Am i right that it has a 3 litre straight six, with 225bhp?? I cant find any information on the torque though, or the 0-60 and fuel consumption. I have a steady drive to work 40-60 all in fifth so get 320 miles in my mr2 to 38quids worth roughly. Am i likely to get close to that with teh supra n/a?? Also what better a manual or automatic?? and does the aut mean 0-60 is slower and the fuel consumption is worse?? Lots of questions sorry....but my knowledge is rather poor on these beautiful cars!! Oh i want one!!

To get some idea of Supra fuel consumption simply fill a bath with water and then pull the plug out. It's just like that.

More seriously though have a look at this thread for MPG.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=90177&highlight=fuel+consumption

Auto is very smooth with some rapid gear changes. You'd have to be The Stig to get a flawless with a manual. Auto has some transmission losses but it isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

Manual will be more economical than a Auto as especially when you'll be using kick down all the time. Any Auto car is the same.

Depends how your drive it though

I average between 24 / 25mpg around town and upto 36mpg on a long run at steady 80,

Depends what state of tune your NA is but mine has been timed we did 3 consequtive runs all at 6 secs

If you want performance then that comes as a direct trade off to fuel economy. The more air you get in the more fuel you need the faster you go. These cars are definately not about fuel economy but there is a possible solution and that is to go LPG. The only real downside to this is there is not much room in the back of a Supra for the tank. LPG runs at about 100 ron compared to 97 with super unleaded and so is safe in a performance car. Worth considering if all within your budget.:)

Im not looking for economy like a diesel...just around 30-35mpg on my daily commute. So in standard form does anyone know the 0-60 of a supra n/a and the amount of torque?? Im interested as im a lazy drive, so dont liek changing out of fifth if i can help it!! Also i want to compare the supra n/a with a BMW 328i, my other contender as a replacement for the mr2. BMW is winning on practicality, but im sure the supra will be way more fun!

You will not get 30-35mpg on a daily commute, bank on 20mpg at best.If you are a lazy driver auto will suit you best, auto box is excellent and unlike those in most other cars, even on the n/a.

0-60 will be around 6.5-6.7 sec and with an auto you could guarantee that most of the time, the pull after 60 is more impressive.BMW 328i practicality is the only thing it has got against a supra.If your bmw goes wrong it would be at least the same cost as an n/a supra to fix prob worse as n/a supra should not go wrong. N/A when new has 209.4lb/ft of torque, TT has 317lb/ft.

• 2 weeks later...

Right so i can assume that even on a steady drive, mostly 40-60 im not gonna get above 20mpg.....thats seems aweful, a bmw 328 supposidly averages around 28-30mpg and its roughly the same cc and power.....y is the supra so bad?? This might mean i cant get one as i have to drive 20 miles each way to work, which would cost me 8 quid a day!! :(

Right so i can assume that even on a steady drive, mostly 40-60 im not gonna get above 20mpg.....thats seems aweful, a bmw 328 supposidly averages around 28-30mpg and its roughly the same cc and power.....y is the supra so bad??

Quite simply two different companies, designing for two different types of market! You cant compare a Bmw to a supra as they wernt designed with the same thing in mind.

Supra mpg isnt paticularly bad when you compare it to other performance cars!

Sounds like you need a BMW as that caters for you the best. What year 328 are you looking at?

urgh but the supra is so dam, nice....and ican get a much lower milage car .....was looking to spend around 4-4.5k, so for a bmw 328 that would be a 97 with around 80k on the clock, supra would be a 95 with around 50-60k on teh clock!!

how the hell do you get 36mpg blitz????

Just well set up i suppose and correct tyre pressures,

I get that mpg on long runs at a steady 80 ish

But i'd say the norm is 34mpg if having a little fun and heavy footed on the motorway

I use this to compute mpg

http://www.alphacouriers.com/fuel-converter.html

Aound town i get average 125 miles per 23 litres which is about 24.71 mpg

well ive just calculated my mpg for the mr2.....works out at 33mpg, a little better than average as most members of the owners club get around 25-28. So on that basis i reckon i would get a decent return from a supra.....Rayman is right....i feel a test drive is whats required. High 20s mpg and id be happy, as the supra really is a high performance machine even in the n/a form.....mmmmmmmm all that torque compared to my mr2.....can't wait!! :D

I'm really uncertain about some of the advice in this thread.

If you drive like a saint then you might get high 20's, but day to day I cannot see how it's possible. I once got 30mpg out of my TT cut that was driving off boost for 400 miles and not seeing more than 60mph, it was in a 6spd too.

If fuel economy is a concern then a Supra is not the car for you. What do you have in reserve to run the car - they are not cheap when things go wrong!

I would say in the nicest possible way that if you have to think about fuel consumption then a supra is not for you, quite a few members (including myself) have a second car for the daily drive which can provide a cheap solution as they will reduce miles on the supra, enable you to get cheaper insurance for less miles per annum and cut down on service times, worth a thought if you have to have a sports car ;)