The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam cover removal help

garetheves

Halfway through taking my Cam covers off and got a quick question: Ive taken all the bolts off, both inside and out, now at each end there is an "upturned bolt" (Best way i can describe it) with a nut on it. Taken both nuts off as well but the covers wont shift. Is there more to these nuts than meets the eye. Can get access to the underside of them without removing pipework at the back and the cams themselves at the front. Is it just that the cams are stuck on with age or do i need to take something else out?? See pic:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/2250/dscf0013ry2.jpg

Guest blueangel

Are there any yechnical things ie torque settings involved with putting cam covers back on as i want to take mine off to polish them. mines an n/a bythe way.

Are there any yechnical things ie torque settings involved with putting cam covers back on as i want to take mine off to polish them. mines an n/a bythe way.

There will be , but the setting will be low. Is your torque wrench capable ?

They don't need to be tight at all, but tightening them up evenly is important.

There are 2 nuts per cover and 8 bolts if I remember correctly, only did this at the weekend.

For the love of god, just tighten the covers down in a diagonal order so the rubber is squashed (hand-tight) so they seal.

However, the bolts are meant to be the ones that avoid over-tightening...

If you have taken all the bolts and nuts off they should lift off, just give them a little tap with a rubber mallet, as the oil and rubber can make a sticky glue like substance.

Guest blueangel

If i do it would it maybe a good idea to have a mechanic put it back on for me to save me from cocking it up lol, my torque wrench is huge. Will i have to replace the seals if i do it aswell.

There are 2 nuts per cover and 8 bolts if I remember correctly, only did this at the weekend.

For the love of god, just tighten the covers down in a diagonal order so the rubber is squashed (hand-tight) so they seal.

However, the bolts are meant to be the ones that avoid over-tightening...

If you have taken all the bolts and nuts off they should lift off, just give them a little tap with a rubber mallet, as the oil and rubber can make a sticky glue like substance.

Sorted now, cheers for the adivce about putting back though, ill make sure i do them diagonally. Ive bought some new gaskets from toyota but did you use any of the seal stuff or did the gaskets suffice??

Sorted now, cheers for the adivce about putting back though, ill make sure i do them diagonally. Ive bought some new gaskets from toyota but did you use any of the seal stuff or did the gaskets suffice??

You need some sealant at the front where they meet the bearing cap, as in this pic...