The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT passed! Phew

Shane

Put the Supra in for it's MOT yesterday. Been having a few problems with my normal place not sticking to their appointments and generally pissing me about lately (you know the sort of stuff, "sorry the link with DVLA was down so we couldn't fit it in today, come back tomorrow" obviously too thick to call and save me going in to collect it!) so I chose another place locally.

Anyhow as this is the first one I have put on the car since owning it (the last one was done by the importer) I was a bit worried. Well it did fail, but only on one of the number plate lights and the telltale LED in the fog light switch.

Interestingly the modded driver side reversing light with a nice red bulb in passed for a fog lamp. I suspected they may not like that but didn't say a word. So sorted both of those little problems out this morning and took it back for my free re-test. Really pleased. The tester bloke said he couldn't find anything wrong with it other than a slight bit of play on one of the rear wheel bearings, but this he reckoned was not even worth worrying about at this stage. Also, it sailed through the emision tests and at present I have only the front cat in place.

So all in all well pleased and relieved too. Have to do the corsa after crimbo, sure that wont be such a doddle.

Congrats buddy. That's a good sail through then! ;)

Mine's not til next year, but I'm thinking it could pose a few problems. Looking at taking it to Andy Hannah to do its MOT as heard he's good value for money and doesn't quibble over small mods that don't have a real affect on the MOT outcome unlike other garages.

Well done :)

Greg

Congrats buddy. That's a good sail through then! ;)

Mine's not til next year, but I'm thinking it could pose a few problems. Looking at taking it to Andy Hannah to do its MOT as heard he's good value for money and doesn't quibble over small mods that don't have a real affect on the MOT outcome unlike other garages.

Well done :)

Greg

Yeh, thanks Greg. When I told my son I was taking it to this particular garage he said I was mad as they had a reputation of being really picky so I was even more concerened. But good outcome and made having a couple of days off work even more worthwhile. The test bloke commented on how nice the exhaust was too, "A work of art" he reckoned!

Good luck with yours.

Shane

Nice one Shane, glad it went well, mine is due for MOT soon need to wire some rear fog lights up first!

Hi Jim,

Do you still have the J-spec rear light clusters with two clear reversing lenses? If so, I would go for changing one of them into a rear fog. It's a real doddle and looks so much nicer than the after market hang on things. Just remember though you need to have a light or indicator inside the car to tell you when it's on. Didn't realise until yesterday that it is a test item.

Fitted that turbo yet?

Hi Jim,

Do you still have the J-spec rear light clusters with two clear reversing lenses? If so, I would go for changing one of them into a rear fog. It's a real doddle and looks so much nicer than the after market hang on things. Just remember though you need to have a light or indicator inside the car to tell you when it's on. Didn't realise until yesterday that it is a test item.

Fitted that turbo yet?

Yes I have the J-spec rears, I have just bought a conversion kit to convert the two inner rear brake lights into fogs (only when the fog light is switched on that is, the inner brake lights work as normal the fog light switch is off) the kit is for an FTO but it will work on the Supra.

and I'm still waiting on a few more bits for the Turbo kit, so when they arrive/get bought:d , I will fit it!:)

Yes I have the J-spec rears, I have just bought a conversion kit to convert the two inner rear brake lights into fogs (only when the fog light is switched on that is, the inner brake lights work as normal the fog light switch is off) the kit is for an FTO but it will work on the Supra.

and I'm still waiting on a few more bits for the Turbo kit, so when they arrive/get bought:d , I will fit it!:)

Yeh I was thinking to do that and even started looking for around at work for the relay and bits. Then last summer the hanging thing that was on it when I bought the car fell off. So I decided to go for the red bulb in the reversing light aproach, works well and sooooo easy.

So are you going to reduce the compession ration before you fit it ,or are you going to limit the boost to a safe level with the standard compression ratio? What is the safe level of boost on stock NAs before you run into probs, do you know? I read on a NZ site that it is up to .4bar which should produce a fair bit of power compared with stock NA levels. What you doing about fuelling/ecu? Really curious