The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Safety of a Supra - Experience and Views

Sheefa

Well all,

'Tis the season to be extra, extra careful it seems with a few write off posts going round......:scare:

So, how safe are Supras should they bite you in the arse and put you off the road? :hide:

I have a 93 J-spec, standard LSD, smaller brakes and no airbags! I'm just thinking, is the Supra a relatively well built and safe car or will an impact see me in pain?:banghead:

Any actual official review links on safety would be appreciated guys. ;)

Thanks,

Greg

Yep Pig but I had a light crash at about 25-30mph back in August on a slightly damp road! That was scary so winter weather is scarier mate!

I consider myself a sensible driver and would never put my foot down unless the conditions seems right and even then - it wouldn't be floored.

Just wondered about the safety of them really. I regularly have passengers so am concerned for them of course too - mainly my girlfriend.

Cheers,

Greg

Older I know, and surely greater improved but scary none-the-less...........

Vehicles much more likely than average to seriously injure other road users in a crash

CLASS

MAKE

MODEL

YEAR

4WD - Large

Nissan

Patrol / Safari

82-87

Toyota

4Runner/Hilux

82-85

Commercial - Ute

Toyota

4Runner/Hilux

86-88

Commercial - Ute

Toyota

4Runner/Hilux

89-97

Commercial - Ute

Toyota

Hilux

98-02

Volkswagen

Caravelle / Transporter

95-04

Luxury

Sports

Toyota

Supra

82-90

Hadyn - I know mate hence why I said "Older I know, and surely greater improved but scary none-the-less". ;)

Rayman - Was on the Midlands Gumball mate in August. Went round a long right hand corner following another 2 supras, was only doing about 25-30mph, felt it bite a little, managed to regain it, auto box then changed down, revs kicked in and it span 180 degrees up onto the verge.

Nobody was hurt but only because an oncoming car managed to swerve and miss us as we were spinning.

New FMIC, rad, crank damper etc etc needed. :(

I was cruising down a local dual carriageway the other night. Gear was in 'D' position and decided to manually change down to '2', albeit a little sooner than I should have done as when I changed down, the revs shot up to about 5.5K, backend did a spot of sliding around for a second or two, on the slightly damp road surface. Nothing major, but I can imagine it could have been a lot worse if I was changing down around a corner :)

Safer than the kitcar that's for sure!

I know Jezzybabes has commented that from his experience of the ones passing through his yard it's holds up to impact very well.

Certainly the pics I've seen of members cars on here over the years have reinforced this.

You'll get yours back and drive like Miss Daisy anyway - it's only natural. Don't take it out in the ice, (I never do), it's asking for trouble if not from you - but other people that slide into you!

Make sure you've got decent tyres and you'll be sorted. If you're really worried go on an advanced driving or track day to get a feel for things.

I over took someone on a bend the other day and the backend slipped a little (even with RLTC set to wet), but it was an easy catch. You just have to be mentally prepared and know what to expect if it happens.

good call with the track day - I definitely need this.

I want to take my Supra on the track as I've not yet, so maybe we could arrange something for the spring for the Midland guys after the financial crisis which is Christmas?

Donny for £99 is exceptionally good value for money.

Right guys, I'm not saying that Auto's are bad, however, it sounds if it is more likely to lose control with them because of the car doing what it wants.

Autos do not kick down because the car is doing "what it wants", they do it because the driver is being brutal with the throttle.

In bad weather the key is being smooth with all the controls. That does not always mean driving slowly, just looking well ahead and anticipating the road. I'm sure "Class One" and any other advanced drivers know what I mean, if you do not i hope your insurance is good.

Autos do not kick down because the car is doing "what it wants", they do it because the driver is being brutal with the throttle.

In bad weather the key is being smooth with all the controls. That does not always mean driving slowly, just looking well ahead and anticipating the road. I'm sure "Class One" and any other advanced drivers know what I mean, if you do not i hope your insurance is good.

Agree totally. I've had more hairy moments in the middle of summer than I had all last winter.

Drive smoothly. The Supra will still outpace most cars even without burying the accelerator into the carpet. Get your braking done before a corner. Turn into it smoothly and, what many forget, is turn smoothly out of it too. Don't just let the car snatch back into a straight line.

If in doubt, stick it in Manual mode. It'll not change gear if you jump on the loud pedal.

Don't rely on RLTC either. I got through last winter and snow with only some decent tyres and a hefty dollop of carefulness. So far this autumn/winter even with RLTC and a very good winter dat I'm still taking it easy.

I'm no winter driving god, just an average driver with some common sense.

I think people forget it's a 330lbs/ft rear drive car.

To put that into context:

Monaro 5.7 = 349lbs/ft

M3= 269lbs/ft

Lotus Elise S1 = 120lbs/ft

TVR Tuscan = 290lbs/ft

Griffith 5.0 = 320lbs/ft

Maserati Grand Sport 333lbs/ft

Porsche 996C2 =273lbs/ft

I'd wager most people would treat the Monaro with more respect in the wet than their own Supras....

I think people forget it's a 330lbs/ft rear drive car.

To put that into context:

Monaro 5.7 = 349lbs/ft

M3= 269lbs/ft

Lotus Elise S1 = 120lbs/ft

TVR Tuscan = 290lbs/ft

Griffith 5.0 = 320lbs/ft

Maserati Grand Sport 333lbs/ft

Porsche 996C2 =273lbs/ft

I'd wager most people would treat the Monaro with more respect in the wet than their own Supras....

Thats an interesting point.....considering that my BPU is pushing 350lbs/ft to the wheels :help:, glad mine is manual.... :thumbs:

I agree with the overall comment though, its really down to the driver and not really the car.

Perhaps if the drivers were more experienced (with the power, age, etc) then there would be less crashes.

Perhaps one of the reasons could be the price of entering the supra ownership as supposed to the other cars mentioned.

I've been thru 2 winters without RLTC and by driving carefully I've managed just fine like most of us, but like everyone says who has RLTC it adds that extra barrier of protection which I think is so important, it's not just the car but potentially for your life as well. And your passenger's lives.

So that's why I am getting it fitted at last, not to tempt fate.

Know exactly what you mean mate ;) , It was something that was at the back of my head that I kept thinking, as I've never driven an auto car before.