The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto vs Manual

Axle

Never driven both but i can understand how they say the auto is as quick at acceleration as the 6spd, the gear change is so quick and perfect every time if youve got your foot right down. It would take an excellent shifter in the 6spd and shift light to replicate the speed of shift of an auto. The manual looses less power thru the transmission type so i see why they are similar. Kickdown on the auto is mental and puts you in your seat.

Some things to consider auto v manual from an auto owner imo is:-

Lack of engine breaking, although gives better mpg imo

If your bothered when people state "oh its an auto" to you

I expect the 6-speed is easier to drive fast thru corners etc

Good things include:-

Auto is cheaper and therefore imo better value for money.

Both hands on the wheels when accelerating

Auto's a pretty good drive really the power is smooth and there aint no let off as the gear change is rapid.

Its like a continuous shove until you back off the accelerator!

This argument keeps raging, from what i have seen, Auto's are generally slower than manuals in most cars, but in more powerful cars, the gap seems to close quite a lot. BUT getting consistently perfect start & gear changes when racing in a manual can be quite tricky, hence i would say in a straight line race (supra's) an auto would usually win. However on a track or if your one for street racing on bendy roads:taped: the added degree of control (in the right hands) would make the manual somewhat quicker. This is just my opinion.

This argument keeps raging, from what i have seen, Auto's are generally slower than manuals in most cars, but in more powerful cars, the gap seems to close quite a lot. BUT getting consistently perfect start & gear changes when racing in a manual can be quite tricky, hence i would say in a straight line race (supra's) an auto would usually win. However on a track or if your one for street racing on bendy roads:taped: the added degree of control (in the right hands) would make the manual somewhat quicker. This is just my opinion.

Your opinion is spot on imo! LOL:p

Your opinion is spot on tho imo! LOL:p

Re the eingine braking thing - why oh why oh why do people think that when you drive an auto, you have to just leave it in 'Drive'??

Angie and myself have both had the back wheels lock up on downshifting in the auto on trackdays. And that was while trying to balance the throttle during the shift to get the engine up to speed for the lower gear. Engine braking? - there's plenty of it if you use the 'box correctly.

And as for the speed of an auto around the track - yes, you probably (no - definitely) have more control in the manual, but if the auto is driven well, it can be bloody hard to get past. Angie trounced a guy in an Ulitima at Marham earlier this year. (ok - she nearly binned it a few corners later hence allowing him to get past again, but she was trying to get past him for a couple of laps as he was holding her up!)

Edit: can't believe I posted on an auto vs manual thread!!:(

Angie trounced a guy in an Ulitima at Marham earlier this year. (ok - she nearly binned it a few corners later hence allowing him to get past again, but she was trying to get past him for a couple of laps as he was holding her up!)

that's impressive in any car! who cares if it is manual or auto

PS: there is no way I'm posting in this thread, this topic has been covered more times than I can remember!

A manual is better on track but for road use I'd go auto. Engine braking? - braking is the job of the brakes not the engine.

Ok, in a manual car, go up to 150mph then decelerate as fast as you can while going down the gears.

Now try with both feet 'in'.

This was graphicly demonstrated to me with a pair of 360 Modenas braking side by side.

Could be an eye opener:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=63350

The auto's are fantastic and DEFINATELY quicker in a straight line up to about 100mph, then the manual is slightly quicker due to the gearing at that speed.

The manual box is very robust and can take more power in stock form, and perhaps more fun round the twisties.

I've had both. Both are great. The auto is the nicer daily driver but I still love my manual.

The auto CERTAINLY shouldn't be lightly dismissed. The Mercedes McLaren auto was the fastest car around the Top Gear track at one time. ;)

Re the eingine braking thing - why oh why oh why do people think that when you drive an auto, you have to just leave it in 'Drive'??

Angie and myself have both had the back wheels lock up on downshifting in the auto on trackdays. And that was while trying to balance the throttle during the shift to get the engine up to speed for the lower gear. Engine braking? - there's plenty of it if you use the 'box correctly.

Totally agree.. I've had auto's in the Celica Supra (2.8l) and the MKiii (Turbo) and these boxes had great engine breaking.

Completly different to the MRS's Mondeo Auto (2L), it has no engine breaking at all, not much difference between 2nd and 3rd, unless you're hitting > 5K rpm in 2nd. :D

But please, another Auto v Manual thread.... :taped:

Yep - let's please close this thread for the worlds sake! :)

Both have pros and cons, many will say manual = better driving experience and others will say Auto = Smoother drive and better durability.

Mixed bag mate. Go for whatever feels right after testing both. ;)

Greg

Auto supra is very different from and Auto corsa or auto 3 series BMW or whatever your trying to compare it too. On the supra its amazing. If I ever get another supra it will be an auto, no lies, they are awesome. The manual is good too, but I love the auto because its so smooth you just keep acellerating and accellerating. It is a love or hate it thing though. But it is by no means wet.