The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dead Supra Engine

boombastictiger

Hi guys

How much would it cost for me to pick up a dead knackered supra engine?

Reason im asking is because as part of my course at uni my teacher recommended me buying an engine from a scrap yard and then stripping it down and building it up again, and also because i have wanted to do this for a long time......

Seeing as I have a supra I thought it would be a good idea to jump in at the deep end and start playing with a dead supra engine as it would help me I guess...I find a jza80 engine alot more exciting than a ford fiesta lump..

anyone know how much you rekon I can pick one up for? Anyone selling thier dead engine let me know...

I got mine for beer money.........

i'm stripping it so you are welcome to give me a hand/have a look sometime if you are local to guildford, however i'm possibly looking at making it into a table base? not sure yet but what i'm saying is you won't be able to build it back up......

thinking about it a mk3 engine may be easier to find and in essence its the same........

if you do go to get one make sure you take a strong mate with you and pick it up in a car that you are not to precious about!

I dont want a working supra engine, just something I can take apart and try and put together...I have dismantelled a smaller engine before and put it back together

It will be good is say some of the cylinders are damaged and pistons, becaus then I can do some project work on them measuring them and comparing to original manufacturers specs etc....But yeah the whole engine...Do any of you guys rekon a scrap year will have any?

I should be able to get that in the back of my lil run around megane..

As long as you don't mind your interior being awash with oil and coolant... and th whole engine breaking loose when you turn corners; not to mention what would happen if you had an accident :taped:

Best strap it onto a pallet and put it in a van/pickup/trailer? ;)

If you can pick up a Supra engine on your own, I'll pay for it myself.

:D

You should be able to get a knackered block less the ancillaries for buttons really as it would be worth sod all to someone that's not rebuilding yet and be a great inconvenience having that behemoth of Japan's finest lying around their garage!

Gaz.

For the love of god do not put the engine in the back of your car, please!

How much inertia will a 300kg engine have when you are travelling at 60 and have to stop suddenly, or briskly to 30 say?

You should see the height of the suspension on my Supra without the engine! Its a 4X4!

Seriously do not do it, for the sake of £60 get it palleted and sent

For the love of god do not put the engine in the back of your car, please!

How much inertia will a 300kg engine have when you are travelling at 60 and have to stop suddenly, or briskly to 30 say?

You should see the height of the suspension on my Supra without the engine! Its a 4X4!

Seriously do not do it, for the sake of £60 get it palleted and sent

Haha, I normally drive with 4 people in my car, excluding me the weight comes to about 250-300 kg, so I rekon it wont be to bad, ill drive like a slug,....It would be a risk though..I will try and hire a van maby, How can I get it palleted for £60

Haha, I normally drive with 4 people in my car, excluding me the weight comes to about 250-300 kg, so I rekon it wont be to bad, ill drive like a slug,....It would be a risk though..I will try and hire a van maby, How can I get it palleted for £60

Yeah but somebody in the back, is belted up with inertia belts and huge engine would not be, so you would have the equivalent of several turns hurling itselt at you without any restraint!

I was quoted £85 for posting an engine on a pallet, so perhaps my idea of price was a little optomistic! :tongue: