The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Hard Is is to Change Spark Plugs and other fluid?

boombastictiger

Hi

I was wondering how hard it would be to basically change some of the essentials in my car, rather than paying a fortune to get a garage to do it...

How hard is it, if possible at all to:

*Change spark plugs

*Change Brake Fluid

*Change Oil

*Other fluids etc....

I want to do as much as I can at home, so that when I can go to my garage I can just tell him to check the car over and change the stuff that I cant do....

Its not that hard, but I would say its harder than on your average micra. With the Spark plugs make sure you buy two crank case hoses as these will need to be removed before you can take the coil packs out to get at the spark plugs. Your crank coases hoses will 90% of the time break on removal especially if they havent been changed for a while.

Fluids are fairly standard. Oil change is a doddle, and even the oil filter is very accessible from the top (remove the battery first) or underneith ( get right back under the passenger side and reach forward through to the engine to get it).

Its all a case of time. If you have not done jobs like these before, you will take ages making sure you do everything properly. If you have then youll be fine. With most things there are write up on here as "how too's" so you know what your doing

I want to do as much as I can at home, so that when I can go to my garage I can just tell him to check the car over and change the stuff that I cant do....

thinking about it, in the end I should have just got a garage to do the lot as the jobs i could do only took them 10 minutes and the harder ones I couldnt do I paid them to do

thinking about it, in the end I should have just got a garage to do the lot as the jobs i could do only took them 10 minutes and the harder ones I couldnt do I paid them to do

True I guess, But its always nice to know how to change them yourself, incase you ever have a little emergency

changing oil on an n/a is VERY easy! just jack it up slightly to drain the oil from the sump and the oil filter is easily accessible from the top. plugs is a bit of a c*nt on nas as you have to remove the air intake and a few other bits if i remember correctly. brake fluid i dont do myself because the risk of airbubbles etc.