The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tried to change plugs

Guest mk47

i tried to do this, took the plug cover off (dropped the allen key as usual. but found it this time)

anyhow theres screws that need undoing before i can get to the plugs - HOW? i tried and it owuldnt work and to save rounding off the screw heads ive just put the cover back on. how do you guys usually get around this??

cheers maz

If you look at the coil packs they are in pairs. Disconect the cable sockets and move them out the way. Forget about the screws and look for two hex head bolts per pair (12 or 13 mm i think.) Undo these bolts give it a bit of a wiggle and pull and they should just pop off in pairs.

how do i go about disconnecting the cable sockets? i know which bolts you mean as i saw them when i had the cover off. also ive got the NGK BKR7E plugs, do they need gapping? or are they straight fit?

the cable sockets have little push clips on them, you just squeeze the connector and pull it off (usually the internal plastic of these is broken though if they're old - you may need to replace this as well!!!).

BKR7E I think comes gapped but I always checked the gap on my BCPR7ES plugs - just a good idea to check them (assume they're not Iridium).

how do i go about disconnecting the cable sockets? i know which bolts you mean as i saw them when i had the cover off. also ive got the NGK BKR7E plugs, do they need gapping? or are they straight fit?

be very carefull when removing the connectors!! thay do break!!

the cable sockets have little push clips on them, you just squeeze the connector and pull it off (usually the internal plastic of these is broken though if they're old - you may need to replace this as well!!!).

BKR7E I think comes gapped but I always checked the gap on my BCPR7ES plugs - just a good idea to check them (assume they're not Iridium).

one of the plastic things broke.. it just looks like a clip to hold the 2 pipe things in place. so ill need to get the connecters aswell before i replace plugs? where would i get these from? as i dont want them to all break and then be stuck with not being able to replace them all at once.

i think its best i get the plastic things first? as im looking to get my restrictor ring sorted today so its finally pushing the correct boost for bpu, if i do this without replacing plugs will it be a problem? im not sure what plugs are in already..

thanks for all the help lads. i think im gonna leave it and ask someone else whos done it before to help me out.. meantime though if i get my restrictor ring widened so its at 1.2 bar, will this make a difference that ive not changed my plugs yet? i mean will it f*ck my car up longterm etc?

OK so I'm an idiot, the guide is to refurb and won't help if they've broken already! :rolleyes:

So you'll need to order a set from Toyota (Toyota PN: 90980-11246 about £20 I think).

You don't really want to be running high boost on too warm plugs!!

LOL sorry again, they are not broken. i just meant you know that clip thing in the middle that just holds 2 together, one of them kind of cracked off in my hand but im sure that theyre not there for anything but to hold the 2 straight.. i didnt attempt on doing anything else because of the whole screw thing.

Yes you mean the little beige coloured plastic bit? It needs replacing if it's broken.

ill try finding a pic i recall them being grey but that might be me not paying much attention

Nope not that! i didnt even get that far. you know when you remove the spark plug cover, theres like these 2 pipes that go to the thing.. the 2 pipes are side by side and sort of grooved.. theres a plastic peice between them that holds them close to gether thats what broke. is there any pics of under the plug cover i coud then draw around the bit i mean. sorry for sounding so confusing

yes! cable clips may well be the word im looking for. im just on paint trying to create an image of what i mean. because i dont have my digicam mrs has got it.

bare with me a moment.

Oh OK wouldn't worry too much then! :D

If you do decide to go further yourself you might want to get some connectors anyway because they do break (mine never did but I think I was lucky!).

think ill get onto mr manley then regarding them. so would it be advisable that i not get my restrictor ring done now and raise boost in this state?

PS thanks for everyones patience and help :thumbs:

Not too sure on how much of an issue it would be, but I wouldn't fancy it. Too warm a plug on higher boost may possibly cause det!!!

Also you'll be gapped too high and may just get constant misfire!

hmm cheers i guess i may leave it! soo close yet so far from bpu!