The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Northwest Aerotop

Havard

Is there anyone out there who knows about Supes and wouldn't mind stopping me buying a lemon.

I've been to look at a black n/a aerotop in Blackburn this afternoon. Unfortunately it started to piss down just as I got there. The car looks good on the surface with new 18" gold wheels and pretty tidy bodywork with a TRD body kit.

It's a 94L with 81K on the clock. Because of the rain I didn't get a look under the bonnet but it started first time with no smoke out the back. The aerotop is leaking though but the guy reckons the top hasn't been put back properly as it wasn't leaking before they took the top off this week for the sale pictures. There is very little SH. It has 11 months MOT and 5 months tax. This car is up fro £4250.00. The guy has had it for a week as he took it in PX for his Skyline. He says he just wants his money back from the PX and doesn't want to have it up for sale for ages trying to get a higher price??????.

I've been looking for one like this for 2 months and others I've seen have had obvious signs of abuse. Could someone tell me what lies beneath though??.

HELP PLEASE

H.

TRD kit as in the widebody kit?? Surely not at that price?? In terms of the car itself, its difficult without actually seeing it. if i wasnt so busy over the next few weekends id have a drive out with you to check it out. Would be at least 3 weeks before i get enough free time though unfortunately.

Yes thats the one!!

Sorry if it's not a TRD that is what is in the advert. Personally I don't care because it looks great in the flesh. I don't feel like the picture does it justice.

The low price is what I'm worried about.!!

Is there anybody who'll give me a hand?? Or would you get AA or RAC inspection, thing is - How much do these people know about Supra's?

H.

Hi H, sounds good but without seeing it i couldnt give you any advice ( not that im an expert :blink: ) where are you in Lancs ? just some advice run a HPI check on it to see if its straight etc wouldnt worry much about service history, they are very good engines unless it sounds like a bag of bolts LOL

Pm me if you need a 2nd opinion

Cheers

Ian

It does look really nice. To be honest there isnt that much to look out for they are pretty much bullet proof. Make sure the heater is working, as this is a huge job! I didnt check mine when i bought it and its now booked into toyota which is going to cost a bomb!

Thanks Ian. Is this the dreaded heater matrix problem.

I'm not so bad when it comes to cars ie bodywork and paperwork but I'm a bit out of my depth with the mechanical warnings with Supra's.

If I miss something now it could cost me a bomb later. I don't want to buy it and it spend months on my drive going nowhere.

H.

Thanks Ian. Is this the dreaded heater matrix problem.

I'm not so bad when it comes to cars ie bodywork and paperwork but I'm a bit out of my depth with the mechanical warnings with Supra's.

If I miss something now it could cost me a bomb later. I don't want to buy it and it spend months on my drive going nowhere.

H.

It certainly is! I mean it can go at any time but its always a good sign if its working before u buy it!! £4K sounds like an absolute bargin! Id snap his hand off!!!

ive just rang him to see whats it is etc! seems ok on the phone....said he will take 4k for it...and its hpi clear too. So as long as it drives well and is in the condition he says its in then it seems like a good buy.

get it brought!

Thanks Keron. Would feel a lot better if someone else saw it who had more of a clue than me. I've not bought a car for 6 years. The wife will have my balls for breakfast if I fuck this up.

H.

Sorry, i didnt mean to be off. Assuming OEM skirts are TRD kit is a common thing, just didnt want him trying to put it accross as a massive benefit if you see what i mean :D

V5 in previous owners name is slightly dodgy, but if the guy is a decent guy, and you are seeing it at his house and not in a layby, then it should be ok...just keeps an extra name off the log thats all :D

Sorry, i didnt mean to be off. Assuming OEM skirts are TRD kit is a common thing, just didnt want him trying to put it accross as a massive benefit if you see what i mean :D

V5 in previous owners name is slightly dodgy, but if the guy is a decent guy, and you are seeing it at his house and not in a layby, then it should be ok...just keeps an extra name off the log thats all :D

Thats Ok Rob. Thanks for the advice. Although i've spen t the last two months glue to this site I still don't know the difference between one kit and another.

I met the guy at an address in Blackburn. He did say that he was form Preston and the advert on e-bay is saying Accrington - a bit worried now.

The guy seemed quite genuine though. He was tring to show me these marks in the rain. I might have a drive back tomorrow and see if the car is parked where i viewed it.

I do know though that I like the look of this car.

I know I'm being hesitant but I've been waiting patiently for the right one to come along and this could be it.

H.

It does look really nice. To be honest there isnt that much to look out for they are pretty much bullet proof. Make sure the heater is working, as this is a huge job! I didnt check mine when i bought it and its now booked into toyota which is going to cost a bomb!

Dude unbook it from toyota. Not only will they overcharge you they are about as likely to know anything about that car as your average corner street garage. Find a local garage and look for the details on how to do the job. I'm sure its here somewhere. In the meantime get the heater matrix by-passed so its stops leaking all over your carpet.

i think that looks good for the price

make sure you leave some money left over for servicing

Looks too good at this moment which makes me suspicious. You can't win, you find a bargain and then wonder why it's so cheap.

This car is well under my budget so i can afford a wee bit of TLC when it's mine.

Thanks

H.

Can you do a vehicle check like HPI etc to ensure its not totally a rip off? Then you can get the VIN number and do some research there (I just found an aerotop that actually was a hardtop originally from its VIN). To be honest the price isn't that far off for an N/A aerotop. Its certainly not uber-cheap. A TT was sold on here recently for about 6500 so a couple of K less for an N/A is in the right area. The whole px thing could be very true. I have had so many different PX offers on my N/A supe and on every car I have ever sold its unreal. Sometimes you think its just gonna be easier to release some cash and sell a car thats not yours. Make sure though that the guy is dead genuine though.

Blackburn rang alarm bells so I dug this up:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=85612&highlight=blackburn

I'm not saying that everyone from Blackburn is a crook (cos I'm from there ;)) but better check out its not this guy.

Thanks mate! You've just saved me from a possible disaster.

The address in the CJ post is exactly the same!

I'll walk away now, but once again thank you.

H.