The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Supra would be best for me?

Guest Bean

Hi All,

Just registered today as im trying to find out which Supra would be best for me?

I know i sound like a girl asking this but there's too many models, turbos etc!

I think i want the cheapest to insure really as i got quoted £1555 for a non-turbo. Is this the kinda insurance i'll have to pay?

Are they all imports?

Sorry to sound divvy! :blink: Any advice would be great.

Thanks

No it is not true. (answer to Bean)

Mainly you have import and UK cars.

Import are twin turbo, non turbo - manual or automatic, if manual it can be 5 gears in N/A or 6 in TT. In theory import cars have less bhp because of smaller turbine, but spins faster, from what ppl saying on forum. Import ones are more expensive to insure, there is almost no or none difference between non turbo and T if it comes about insurance.

UK cars have bigger turbine, spins slower, usually have more exclusive toys inside like leather seats, most of them are auto. They are also way cheaper to insure, but more expensive to buy :)

If you are begginer and not power thisrsty THAT much i would propose Non turbo manual (easier to sell later) to try out what is all this fuss about, then if you think you want more - go for TT.

All correct except that bit, the UK turbo's are actually smaller ;)

Inadvertently starts “mines (turbo) bigger than yours” war…:)

Welcome.... easy choice !

Over the few years on here, I have seen many people sell (or try to) N/A's to go to Turbo's, but can't think of any going the other way - sure someone will prove me wrong :D

TT everytime (insurance permitting) :(

G

Insurance aside, what's your driving style?

The amount of people that buy the NA and find that it can't "out do" (or its a fight) quite a lot of the new hothatches is high and they ultimately end up selling and losing money.

However I find the NA a fantastic car for hurling round the A and B roads, where as the TT is brilliant for outright speed and wow factor.

All personal taste. Don't pick a car on insurance costs, these things are expensive to run full stop and saving a couple of hundred quid a year is a false economy if the car doesn't fit your needs.

Insurance aside, what's your driving style?

The amount of people that buy the NA and find that it can't "out do" (or its a fight) quite a lot of the new hothatches is high and they ultimately end up selling and losing money.

However I find the NA a fantastic car for hurling round the A and B roads, where as the TT is brilliant for outright speed and wow factor.

All personal taste. Don't pick a car on insurance costs, these things are expensive to run full stop and saving a couple of hundred quid a year is a false economy if the car doesn't fit your needs.

Most sensible thing I have read in a very long time.

Guest Mksupra

Hey I saw something the other day, is it possible to get a TT aerotop with semi auto 6 speed manual but its on the steering wheel or something? That confused me because I want to get a TT aero but don't like the auto gearbox so I was going to stick buying a TT 6 s manual.

no, there is no 6 speed semi auto. There is a semi auto "tiptronic" box which is basically the 4 speed autobox with tiptronic controls though, expect you mean that

And I don't beleive there are any TT aerotop VVTi's but I stand to be corrected. You can however do a modification to the non-tiptronic auto's to retrofit a flapper style change. Someone on here chronicled how to do it years ago.

Guest howie700
Hi All,

Just registered today as im trying to find out which Supra would be best for me?

I know i sound like a girl asking this but there's too many models, turbos etc!

I think i want the cheapest to insure really as i got quoted £1555 for a non-turbo. Is this the kinda insurance i'll have to pay?

Are they all imports?

Sorry to sound divvy! :blink: Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Hi Bean and Welcome,

You don't say how old you are, Me, just an old bugger, but try SKY INSURANCE. I might be getting on a bit, but don't admit it, and have only 2 yrs no claims. Did me a great deal, under £700, and only another £350 to add another group 14 4x4 as well.

All SUPRA's are fun, life is for fun, just get one.

Guest howie700
I recommend TT manual j-spec! :D

BHP Progress so far: 63 - 103 - 158 - 320 - 400 - 54 - 86 (going up again!)

86???????????.........Wot you done, blown 5 pots, adding them back in 1 at a time??????

I agree though, J spec TT. Fun personified.:tongue:

BHP Progress so far: 63 - 103 - 158 - 320 - 400 - 54 - 86 (going up again!)

86???????????.........Wot you done, blown 5 pots, adding them back in 1 at a time??????

I agree though, J spec TT. Fun personified.:tongue:

Heheh, nope sold the Supra in june to buy a house, had a Renault 5 that was 54 BHP, and now got a Yaris that's only 86BHP!!!

I'll get another one one day though.

And I don't beleive there are any TT aerotop VVTi's but I stand to be corrected. You can however do a modification to the non-tiptronic auto's to retrofit a flapper style change. Someone on here chronicled how to do it years ago.

You're right, but there/was at least one conversion of this variety about - does Gav still have his one or has he sold it?