The mkiv Supra Owners Club

M3 better or not?? I think not!

tinkerbell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Autocar did back to back test of the M3 and Supra (uk spec) in 93 and declared the Supra the faster point to point car.

Also the supra doesnt have a crappy vanos system that shits itself and costs £1.4K to replace. If you yump a hump back bridge or the like a supra doesnt land on the front LhS wheel, it also doesnt suffer excessive shell flex, like all E36 do.

And most importantly, Toyota managed to put the pedals straight in front of the Supra drivers feet, unlike the E36 where they were so far to the right backache was common (tell me about it). BMW call it "an offset driving position" I call it bad design. A very flawed car driver by morons with no imagination or style. It also looks 10 years older when parked beside a Supra.

Hope this helps you talk to the BMW owner.

I've owned 8 BMW 3 series prior to the Supra, all E30's and E36's.

The E30's a nice little fun car but to compare any version (aside from the ultra rare lhd M3) to a Supra is an absolute joke. They can be chucked around a little but are not that well balanced - particularly the 6 cyl models.

The E36's I quite like, I had a 328ic for several years and really liked it. It's FAR easy to drive to the limit than a Supra, but my god that limit is well... limited! Mine was sent straight to hartage straight out the factory for a full suspension package but even so it had no where near the lateral drip of the supra.

I had an E36 M3 briefly but although it was quick in a straight line it's not matched to a BPU TT supra in terms of grip, handling or outright power.

To be honest I've been thinking over the last couple of days about replacing the Supra with an M3, mainly because of the added luxury for long distances and built in equipment etc. But as a pure driver's car I can't see how it could be a match for the Supra.

And thanks for making me think twice with all the comments guys. :p

To be honest I've been thinking over the last couple of days about replacing the Supra with an M3, mainly because of the added luxury for long distances and built in equipment etc. But as a pure driver's car I can't see how it could be a match for the Supra.

And thanks for making me think twice with all the comments guys. :p

its hard top define it as a better car... as its built for a different purpose.. they are chalk and cheese.

i own am E46 M3... imo the this is a better car than the supra... but only as it tick all the boxes for me.. the handling is far better then the supra without a doubt, the power is down on a bpu supra,,,but a good car isnt all about power its about the whole package...

BMW built the chassis of the to handle its 343 hp and the way that the car is balanced it means that you can get all the power down in any situation.. if you have never driven one then you really should before you judge it.

my supra was 550bhp at low boost,,, but i can drive the M3 faster, the interior is all nappa leather, and it fully loaded with enough toys to pilot a jump jet..

oh and the best bit is Lanch contrll wich comes as std in all smg.and does the heel and toe on down shift for you;)

like i said guys, you really need to drive one

like i said guys, you really need to drive one

Been there, done that, :zzz: not overly impressed. It's a good car, but I wouldn't trade my Supra for an M3.

It really does come down to what you want from a car. Practicallity, more usable rear seats, newer, (although they deteriorate quicker), modern gadgets maybe. But, as I said, it's all down to what you want from a car. Personally, I think the Supra looks far nicer. It's got the proper coupe sports look as opposed to a... Well, family car with a pokey engine.

The suspension design has about 15 years advance on the Supra, so I'd expect it to be more balanced on the road, but I'm fairly confident there wouldn't be much in it on a track.

I prefer the driving position of a Supra. In fact, I prefer driving the Supra. My brother-in-law has an M3, and although it's 'nice', it isn't exiting.

Just MHO :)

I had my gaffers E46 M3 for 4 days last year and loved it, great all rounder, the only thing I didn't like was the seating position, very uncomfortable and I felt "twisted" behind the wheel but the nappa almost made for it.....lovely :cool:

He sold it but gave me first shout and I was seriously tempted but then I saw the servicing and warranty costs....bloody hell :blink:

£1800 a year with a £259 excess for the warranty :faint:

Been there, done that, :zzz: not overly impressed. It's a good car, but I wouldn't trade my Supra for an M3.

It really does come down to what you want from a car. Practicallity, more usable rear seats, newer, (although they deteriorate quicker), modern gadgets maybe. But, as I said, it's all down to what you want from a car. Personally, I think the Supra looks far nicer. It's got the proper coupe sports look as opposed to a... Well, family car with a pokey engine.

The suspension design has about 15 years advance on the Supra, so I'd expect it to be more balanced on the road, but I'm fairly confident there wouldn't be much in it on a track.

I prefer the driving position of a Supra. In fact, I prefer driving the Supra. My brother-in-law has an M3, and although it's 'nice', it isn't exiting.

Just MHO :)

couldnt agree more bud...

it really is what you want from the car... without a doubt the supra's looks are timeless and will still look exciting in many years to come.:eyebrows:

but for me i very much doubt i would trade the M3 for a supra, as there eally is no comparison against my supra. the M3 wins hands down for me.. its out of the box, can take almost what ever you throw at it.. looking forward to my first track day in it

and as for running costs well its actually alot cheaper to run than the supra....

the supra for me is a fantastic car for a hobbie but isnt as capable in real world driving as the M3...

again this is only my opinion peeps so dont flame for it;)