The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another bad experience at a local garage

Gazzawu

Well ive noticed a grinding noise at the front recently which becomes noticeable only when u drive slowly. i decided to take it to a local mot station on the sat to get it checked out because i didnt want to drive it too far. Phoned them up to ask what the diagnosis was and they told me the rear brake pads were worn and they had already replaced them with new ones. Bit annoyed because ive got a spare pair of project mu pads lying in the house that i was gonna wait for my pads to wear out before fitting. Now they're just gonna lie around for another while. i went to the garage the next morning and they told me the battery was now dead and couldnt start the car. They tried numerous attempts to start the car but car wouldnt move and they tried blaming it on the clifford alarm. I decided to leave them to it and headed to work. I was an hour late and the boss was not happy. Came back this morning and they told me the fuse had blown and the battery had a problem. The battery is the recommended calcium one from halfords and its only been in the car for 3 months. They claimed that the fuse blew up because of incorrect wiring of my amp. I actually disconnected the fuse from the amp to the battery so how can it possibly cause that? Plus I have been running the amp for 2 years without any problems. My HIDs are now not working either. My HIDs have been running fine for the last 2 months so how can they suddenly blame it on wiring? i dont know! The car still has that grinding noise that i complained about at the start. Not impressed at all.

What a disaster! :blink:

They must've left something on to drain the battery , probably the HID's.

They might have used some sort of power pack or something across the battery in an attempt to get it started. Maybe blown the HID fuse or fried them altogether.

As for the brakes, bloody idiots.

Hope you can get it sorted soon. :)

Just popped the bonnet up and theyve disconnected the HIDs from the battery. Fingers crossed theyre ok. Im gonna try wiring them back on when i have time tomorrow. Yeah think i might have to get the car towed. The recommended garages are all about 30 motorway minutes away. Scared it might be a wheel bearing about to go. Been driving mum's 1.2 polo and im pretty impressed with the fuel economy. :)

Do you still have the stock brake shields in place? With age these become subject to corrosion and more susceptible to impact distortion. If they make contact with the edge of the disc, it can sound very expensive.

Unless you consent to pay for what ever is wrong, they should have contacted you before putting new parts on the car. It sounds like this place should be avoided. I would want to know what pads they put in the car.

have you paid them yet? they are not legally allowed to change parts without your consent! you are quite within your rights to have your pads put in free of charge. i would not let them take you for a ride mate, if you doubt them you also have the right to ask citizens advice and trading standards

To be honest i really cant tell you whether the stock brake shields are still there and i dont know what brand the pads are either. The car is going to another garage on sat morn :rolleyes: . Hopefully they will temporarily cure the grinding noise and then i will go to my usual garage later. Just dont think its safe to drive in the motorway just now :(

Do you still have the stock brake shields in place? With age these become subject to corrosion and more susceptible to impact distortion. If they make contact with the edge of the disc, it can sound very expensive.