The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My suspension

Underworld

I thought my Bilsteins were just plain dampers but I actually sat down and had a look and I can see they have springs over them too! So i guess thats a good thing? Is this "coilover"?

Im not familiar with suspension.

you mean while it's still on the car?

i would be worried if it didn't have a spring over it :D

Its normal, everyday suspension which all cars have. All cars have the damper AND the spring. IIRC, the spring takes the load of any insult, ie going over a pot-hole and the damper prevents the spring from just going up and down forever with the weight of the car. So you need both.

Coilover is a general description for any suspension setup consisting of a damper with a spring around it.

However the term is used in the after market parts market, to describe the complete replacement adjustable suspension unit. The alternative to fitting complete replacement suspension unit or 'coilover', is to just replace the dampers and springs. So even though these are infact a coilover setup, they are generally refered to as 'dampers' and 'lowering springs' and not coilovers by the tuning industry.

Hope that makes sense, yes you have coilovers in the true meaning of the word, every MKIV Supra manufactured does. Although the general description used on the forum to describe the stock suspension set up, would be 'dampers' and 'springs'.

Oh quick question can my car fail its MOT for having a leaky shock? I thought you could only fail for dangerous things.

Yes it will fail, a leaky damper is dangerous as it upsets the suspension balance, which in turn effects the handling of the car.

I have a pair of new front Bilstein dampers in stock, the rears I would need to order, which would take around 1 month. You could always get the rears there and I supply just the front if you need urgently. I could get them there in around 3 days if needed urgently.