The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitted stereo now idling badly

steb9780

Just fitted my head unit into the Supra and also moved my Apex'i SAFC to the single din pocket I just put in.

Now the car is idling really low, also when started from cold it was idling straight at about 500 rpm.

I also noticed that the turbo timer didn't kick in.

Any ideas please.:search:

Right just started taking the fascia off with the engine running and as soon as I undid the top bit with the warning lights, the idle picked back up.

I also noticed that my boost gauge was flickering when I played with the wires that go into it's control box. (by the drivers legs)

Only thing now is the turbo timer sounds like it tries to kick in, but then the car stops.

Right just started taking the fascia off with the engine running and as soon as I undid the top bit with the warning lights, the idle picked back up.

I also noticed that my boost gauge was flickering when I played with the wires that go into it's control box. (by the drivers legs)

Only thing now is the turbo timer sounds like it tries to kick in, but then the car stops.

Sounds very much like you have got a wire touching somewhere, maybe to earth or some of the insulation exposed and it is shorting to another wire.. Check and double check your wires.

I wouldn't put it down to the ECU resetting straight away, not if by removing the dash it picked up again (could be a coindence, but doubt it)

Sounds very much like you have got a wire touching somewhere, maybe to earth or some of the insulation exposed and it is shorting to another wire.. Check and double check your wires.

I wouldn't put it down to the ECU resetting straight away, not if by removing the dash it picked up again (could be a coindence, but doubt it)

it picked up as I was unscrewing one of the dash screws really.

I noticed it pick up as I was actually unscrewing it.

I have sorted the turbo timer now. I didn't know where it was located so I had a rummage in the dark and felt it. It was tucked behind the door sill trim where the drivers feet are.

Pulled it out and it was turned off, so I switched it on and set it to 30 seconds and it worked fine. So obviously that must have stayed off with the battery being disconnected.

Cheers for the help! If it starts idling badly again, I'll take the dash off and have a good look, it's gone dark now and I can't see. But seems fine now, just done 15 miles to see if it would come back and it didn't.

Double check that the screw isn't crimping or piercing the wire, little things like that can have you puzzled for days taking everything else out around it first.

Yeah that did cross my mind, as the top panel wasquite a tight fit near that screw. But like I say seems to be running fine now.

Sounds like Bromy was right and you just reset the ECU.

How does it work then when all connected back up?? Does the ECU have to find it's feet so to speak?? I know on my ROver that's what happened. It would take a while for it to get running right again. Is this the same with the Supra??

How does it work then when all connected back up?? Does the ECU have to find it's feet so to speak?? I know on my ROver that's what happened. It would take a while for it to get running right again. Is this the same with the Supra??

I haven't reset mine for a while but it usually hunts for the idle making it feel like it is going to stall, then it sorts itself out. Just take it out for a run it will be fine. :)