The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what colour coolant should i use?

cookci

if you're not using the toyota coolant which as mentioned is red, then it's not the colour you want to be concerned with but what it's actually made with.

as long as it's an ethylene glycol based coolant and you used demineralised / destilled water then that should be fine too :)

can you clarify exactly what is the right and what is the wrong coolant then?

Only use Toyotas own,

Something to do with there being two types( not sure of exact names) Ethlyn glycol being one not sure of the other

But you find this alot with coolants used in vehicles with Alloy parts or cylinder heads in particular, The correct ones usually come pre-mixed and use Distilled water in the mix.

I always thought it was just a Manufacturer con to get you to buy their own over priced coolant, but it does matter which type you use,

This is usually why they are coloured, I rember when working for Fords they were blue standard Antifreeze, Red for something else later replaced by yellow and they couldn't be mixed, the latter ones being used in the Fiesta etc with 1.25 Zetec ( yamaha) all Alloy engines

• 1 year later...

I thought most antifreeze these days was ethylene glycol?. used to be hard to get hold of yrs ago when most engine parts were cast. now I figured it had gone the other way. and ethylene glycol is now the norm. Its what I'm putting in at the weekend. afaik the only bonus with the toyota 4life is the colour change when its reached the end of its useful life. but I am possibly(more than likely) wrong.

Rob