The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Used 2 pints of water in 3 months... likely cause?

cookci

looks like my cars knackered. its used 2 pints of water in 3 month...

TBH i havent been checking the water very often but after not checking for a long period its gone down... the car does smoke a bit (white smoke) but would that be the cold or the decats?

whats the likely cause? i cant see any leaks and had the car idleing for a hour and its not gone down or leaked?

please advise?

By way of reply I am here to relate my own mysterious coolant leak story.

My twin turbo was loosing coolant erratically from the rad' and resevoir. There was no pattern to it, and no apparent sign of a leak.

After a precautionary replacement of some coolant hoses, the coolant level was still dropping, and still with no apparent pattern.

Sometimes the car would loose a litre after 200 miles and then again, it could hold the same level for up to a 1000 miles.

Eventually, the radiator cap was diagnosed as the problem.

The problem was not the main spring on the cap, it was the return valve. It was failing to seat properly, and due to the coolant not being pressurised, it was boiling out of the car's cooling system.

If your radiator hoses are not ROCK SOLID after a 10 mile run, replace your rad' cap.

In fact, I was told that that the Toyota radiator cap should be changed about every four years, due to this so called "known" problem.

It seems that many blown Toyota head gaskets can be directly attributed to this problem.