The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre advice please...

chilli

Just been cleaning the car.

Checked the tyres and they are a bit lower on tread than I though! doh!

So looks like I need some new ones.

Given a choice like this, what would you go for as an overall good value for money high performance tyre?

Goodyear

Summer tyres EAGLE F1 GS-D3

255/35 ZR18 94Y XL

With mytyres.co.uk only £ 130.00

Details Put into shopping basket Ordering

Falken

Summer tyres FK-452

255/35 ZR18 94Y RFD Rim-protection

With mytyres.co.uk only £ 130.70

Details Put into shopping basket Ordering

Ultra High Performance Tyres

Bridgestone

Summer tyres Potenza RE 050 A

255/35 R18 90Y , BW

With mytyres.co.uk only £ 134.90

All prices from http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ - their prices seem excellent - I'll get a local garage to fit.

I'm going to need fronts too but they will be a bit cheaper as they are smaller, I'll pick based on the rears and get fronts to match later.

I know that the goodyear F1s are well regarded on here, what about the Bridgestones?

I'd like to go a bit wider on the rear up to 265 or 275 (rims will easily take it) but I'm a bit worried on clearance with the arches (car is very low).

Maybe I'll post up a pic of the clearance for opinions on going larger later.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated... :) or if you know of anywhere cheaper...

hmmm tempting, I'd rather go to 275 of course.

I'll take a pic then later of the clearance, maybe you can help me judge if it will be ok

I have height adjustable suspension so I could raise it up a touch if I had to, but this would be a last resort of course as I'd not tinker with it unless I had to.

So I could get the above 255-35R18 Z RE050As then if I was not to go larger of course

prices seem good don't they :)

I think my rear wheels are 10J at least, I'll take some pics when I can.

Since the bridgestone, goodyear and falkens are all a similar price from mytyres I'd just like to pick the best out of the pack. I'd assume falken would be the worst if the prices are the same, goodyear and bridgestone are similar.

do you have any idea how the re050a tyres wear?

Some good advice here Chilli, but just to mention that the GoodYear GSD3 also has rim protection. I have them on mine, 9J up front with 245 and 10J at the rear with 285's. Mine has the yellow bilstein shocks and i had to get the rear arches shaved. Cost £50 and was a very tidy job. No rubbing issues unless anyone is in the back and i'm on a fast sweeping bend.

Ok guys, I've taken a couple of snaps of my clearance problems.

The car is very low and has wide rear wheels (can't remember the specs I'll check at some point but they are at least 10J maybe wider) - the fronts should be no problem though

so the clearance is tight at the back, this is with 255 tyres but I think if anything they are too small for the wheels.

I could go to 265/35 ZR 18, that is only 5mm per side wider, but would you risk going to 275??? as mentioned I could raise the suspension but I'd rather not...

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02127.jpg

thanks, that was quick!

hmmm well 265 is only +5mm per side isn't it so I'd hope they would squeeze in...

yeah, i would think you should be alright but on the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if it did scrub slightly on certain occassions.

i'd go for the 265 and if it scrubs at all then just heighten it slightly (i'm assuming you have coilovers?)

yeah I have fully adjustble tein dampers so I can raise the suspension rings as a last resort...

thanks for the help. I guess having 265s on there I'll be able to see how it goes and see if I think I could go the next step to 275s in the future or stick with them at 265 - better than doing it all in one hit and it being undrivable...

ahhh cheers. I've found the Falkens to be good but I don't have anything to compare with so I was thinking of an upgrade to Bridgestone RE050A as they seem to get high recommendations.

For £111 delivered that really is very cheap though! The only thing I've found with the Falkens is they lasted me about 6-7k miles or so, certainly less than 8k and I don't always drive like a loon. Now I have RLTC I hope that whatever tyres I get their life will be prolonged. Most of the life of the current Falkens I have was used up before I got RLTC fitted and the back used to spin up a bit at times!

Go 265 and if it rubs get the inside of the wheels machined take a few mm off inner faces. Looks like a very non std offset, but looks very mean all the same.

Oh I'd never thought of that, is that possible then? Effectively changing the offset, reducing it no wait increasing it or whatever lol

well thanks for the idea, I'll keep that as plan B. I do love the offset, as you say it does look very mean, the wheels and tyres and nearly flush with the body and it creates a nice wide and fat look :)