The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The NA/Non Turbo

RobSheffield

Congratulations, you have bought an NA (SZ or SZ-R) now you may have an inkling for more power but hold on, before you jump in asking questions and ressurecting threads from 5 years ago, take a moment to read this.

Ok, first lets look at the possible reasons you bought an NA. They are lower fuel consuption, cheaper purchase price and (arguably) cheaper insurance. Please do not misunderstand the reasons for this thread - the NA is still a capable vehicle - i have always been impressed while driving them, it is not my intention to take the piss. I am among a growing minority of memebers who are sick of folk with NAs posting up asking if they should buy a BOV, or an intercooler :p

Possible methods of power increase may include:-

An aftermarket filter in the stock airbox (aftermarket cone filters will (arguably) lose you power)

Decat

New manifold (see Nic/import pimp)

Sports exhaust system

Superchips will not afford much increase, they will likely increase fuel consumption and overall are considered a waste of money compared to the above items.

Finally, if you see an item on ebay, please try to use the search as we have a fair few 'omgrofllmao i found this £20 chip on ebay will it make my NA 400BHP' threads which will have been answered

Thank you :)

(mods, if you want to pop this in FAQs and or sticky it or move it then feel free :D)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the idea of a car club forum was to help each other in a friendly way .and for someone whos just brought there first supra they want to find out ways of modifying it. maybe some of the questions are stupid to someone who knows his/her way around an engine. some people have not got a clue how an engine works or what the bits are on it ,so they join a car club and ask questions.i asked some stupid questions when i first joined and most people are happy to point you in the right direction.

thing that pisses me off is the constant piss take out of the n/a supra.

thats my 2p

Dave's right...........this always happens, Rob's been here some time now and is at a certain 'stage' but there are others like Dave etc who have recently been in the newbies shoes and will answer whilst alot of the oldies will just look on and only comment if there is a glaring inaccuracy in what ends up being posted.....

......its all part of journey through the forum :)

Dave's right...........this always happens, Rob's been here some time now and is at a certain 'stage' but there are others like Dave etc who have recently been in the newbies shoes and will answer whilst alot of the oldies will just look on and only comment if there is a glaring inaccuracy in what ends up being posted.....

......its all part of journey through the forum :)

EXACTLY

I thought the idea of a car club forum was to help each other.

thats my 2p

Firstly, why do you think i spent 10 minutes writing this? secondly, at what point am i being unfriendly or taking the piss out of NAs?

People buy them for their own reasons, which is fine, but we get many a thread asking about increasing power - this thread was designed to hopefully answer some of those questions.

Mines an N/A and Love it but still piss on an TT as comes fitted with helium filled tyres as standard for hill climbing.

at the end of the day the N/A looks just like a TT and no one can tell if it ain't unless they really in the know. at the end of the day fuel keeps going up TT will drop in value and N/A's will go up in value due to the fuel economy unless you drive like me lead right foot:d

Mines an N/A and Love it but still piss on an TT as comes fitted with helium filled tyres as standard for hill climbing.

at the end of the day the N/A looks just like a TT and no one can tell if it ain't unless they really in the know. at the end of the day fuel keeps going up TT will drop in value and N/A's will go up in value due to the fuel economy unless you drive like me lead right foot:d

Riiiight....thanks for that :blink:

Dave & Scooter, you know your NA's very well, is there anything you would like to add or change in Robs post? I think Robs idea was to create an FAQ for new or potential NA owners and set straight a few basics on modification.

I agree it needs some major editing and more information adding, but was hoping some of the more experienced NA owners would have something to add :)

sorry rob no offence intended, but the way it came over to me was if youve brought an n/a dont ask stupid questions .whilst you gave good advice on the upgrades available.i think you could have worded it differently.

No worries...

To clarify, no i mean no offence - the NA is a capable vehicle.

It took a bloody long time to write, and think about, not least as i am feeling quite under the weather - it was meant to be tongue in cheek humour and nothing more.

I myself have asked (and still do, and likely will contnue to do so) some stupid questins :p

Yes good post, by the way i don't think fuel consumption is that different, purchase price seems the only difference and potential repair costs, it is fair to say that this is a supra forum so n/a and tt should be as welcome, but Rob was being helpful and his post may save a bit of searching, and thats from me as an Aristo tt owner lol

Pisstaking if rife on here and its a better place for it..........people need to have a thick (thicker skin)

I current drive a sh*t slow NA............but at least it has a mans gearbox.......

i've previously had, a pink one (funny though as it was red when i actually owned it!) a gay sh*te coloured aerotop (that was of course butch, flashy and a 'rare' colour when i owned it) and a barge of a uk spec (looked down on every mofo when i had one of these :D )

Yeah but aint the the N/A quicker than the when going up hills?;)

No, and you know it. ;)

I thought the idea of a car club forum was to help each other in a friendly way .and for someone whos just brought there first supra they want to find out ways of modifying it. maybe some of the questions are stupid to someone who knows his/her way around an engine. some people have not got a clue how an engine works or what the bits are on it ,so they join a car club and ask questions.i asked some stupid questions when i first joined and most people are happy to point you in the right direction.

thats my 2p

I think perhaps what Rob was getting at was, thathe was having a friendly dig at the member today (who also happens to be an NA owner) resurrect two threads from aeons past. Whilst that in itself was not a heinous crime, if the said member had taken the time to read them fully then his question would have been answered, that's all.

What we haven't seen is a piss take at the NA supra. Rob said in his first post that this wasn't a piss take, on the contrary he posted it with imo good intentions, so as to avoid the NA vs TT debate.

Pisstaking if rife on here and its a better place for it..........people need to have a thick (thicker skin)

I current drive a sh*t slow NA............but at least it has a mans gearbox.......

i've previously had, a pink one (funny though as it was red when i actually owned it!) a gay sh*te coloured aerotop (that was of course butch, flashy and a 'rare' colour when i owned it) and a barge of a uk spec (looked down on every mofo when i had one of these :D )

Your n/a is the fastest supra there is, what do you mean!!