The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Hot

Glosphil

Hi,

Took my supe to MKIVStore today and they said my intercooler had seen better days and its running a bit hot.

What have you guys done to counter this ?

Its got an apexi air filter too, and they say the fan is blowing hot air onto it so I need a shield.

What should I get ?

Dont really want it to cost me a fortune, but want it right, if you get me.

Thanks

Simple really. :)

Replacement intercooler, side or front mounted.

Remove the Apexi filter and fit the standard airbox with filter.

That just about sums it up.

You can't re-condition or repair a old intercooler as such, and the air filter issue has been done to death on here. The stock airbox is more that adequate and far better than most aftermarket types.

if the car is running stock boost then neither of these issues is serious.

The apexi filter is i believe the best (or at least one of them) for filtration after the stock system. Whilst not ideal running a past its best intercooler, at this time of the year on a stock boost car is not an issue but may be come next summer. Basically i'd fit one next spring if its shot......

if the car is running stock boost then neither of these issues is serious.

The apexi filter is i believe the best (or at least one of them) for filtration after the stock system. Whilst not ideal running a past its best intercooler, at this time of the year on a stock boost car is not an issue but may be come next summer. Basically i'd fit one next spring if its shot......

Well I dont know if its shot, just there is some fins bent over etc where stones have hit it. Can they not be straightened out with a thin bit of metal, slide it down between the fins ?

firstly are you on stock boost......ie no decats?

secondly looking at the IC there are solid ali bits running (horizontally - i think!) with the thin bits vertically between them. If the front fins are just a little bent then i'd say its fine especially as i say in this weather ie cold. If in places the first few layers have gone ie the fins start a few mm back from the solid parts then its well past its best.

If its the original IC (probably is) then its almost certainly a 'to do' item but i would stress again that at stock power/boost it won't be an issue at the time of year.

If you do go 'prodding' :) then be careful it will be fragile.....

firstly are you on stock boost......ie no decats?

secondly looking at the IC there are solid ali bits running (horizontally - i think!) with the thin bits vertically between them. If the front fins are just a little bent then i'd say its fine especially as i say in this weather ie cold. If in places the first few layers have gone ie the fins start a few mm back from the solid parts then its well past its best.

If its the original IC (probably is) then its almost certainly a 'to do' item but i would stress again that at stock power/boost it won't be an issue at the time of year.

If you do go 'prodding' :) then be careful it will be fragile.....

Yeah its stock. But wanted to go BPU. think its just some fins bent over etc, will have to have a closer look. MKIVstore said it would be ok for now in the cold, but could melt my engine in the summer, the thought of that scares me but intercoolers are expensive, would be nice to get a correctly spaced comb or something and slide it down and straighten them up.

Yeah its stock. But wanted to go BPU. think its just some fins bent over etc, will have to have a closer look. MKIVstore said it would be ok for now in the cold, but could melt my engine in the summer, the thought of that scares me but intercoolers are expensive, would be nice to get a correctly spaced comb or something and slide it down and straighten them up.

Phil, if you are going BPU then i would suggest you replace the intercooler.

No it isnt a cheap thing, but these are not cheap cars.

Phil, if you are going BPU then i would suggest you replace the intercooler.

No it isnt a cheap thing, but these are not cheap cars.

Ok, I've seen the replacement stock ones on Miami GT for 400 ish, would you get one of those ? or go for one in the middle ? Whats the best deal to be had ? Anyone got one they want to sell cheap ? as im replacing the bumper shortly so could do it then

No rush i'd say (i'm a spendaphobic not a spendaholic!)

Why not post up a picture of it on here?

I seriously doubt your intercooler would cause problems on a stock car even in the summer but it may be 'that' bad so get that pic!

it would seem that Nic on here (based in HK) can get very reasonable priced genuine Toyota IC's......

If you are replacing the front bumper for an after market type that has a big front gap then a front mount may look better and is a popular choice...........

No rush i'd say (i'm a spendaphobic not a spendaholic!)

Why not post up a picture of it on here?

I seriously doubt your intercooler would cause problems on a stock car even in the summer but it may be 'that' bad so get that pic!

it would seem that Nic on here (based in HK) can get very reasonable priced genuine Toyota IC's......

If you are replacing the front bumper for an after market type that has a big front gap then a front mount may look better and is a popular choice...........

No just putting a stock black bumped on, buying off a guy on here, black already so no respray. mines have a bump and the pain is crazed a bit, seemed a better idea than a respray as its had a bit of filler in the side by the looks of it. I'll take a pic of the intercooler. Cheers

In my opinion this is fine whilst you stay stock, if you go BPU a new one would probably make sense to make the most of the other mods and possibly to stay safe regarding engine damage (but such damage usually involves over doing the boost and running the injectors at near 100% duty cycle as much as poor intercooling)

Sorry but in my view to say that your engine could be in danger of melting is just scare mungering, especially at your level......Im suprised...... :shock:

to be fair, he said it would be ok until the summer, I then asked what would happen if it overheated, he said it would melt. He didnt infur that its going to melt right now lol, just that it was running hot.

It'll be okay through summer too. Sure, the car won't be performing at its best, but at stock boost there's no danger of intake temps going overboard. That is unless its really knackered!

I would put money on even a really knackard IC still not causing the "engine to melt", at stock levels anyway, melting engines are usually a result of higher boost and lack of fuel......

Ok, I've seen the replacement stock ones on Miami GT for 400 ish, would you get one of those ? or go for one in the middle ? Whats the best deal to be had ? Anyone got one they want to sell cheap ? as im replacing the bumper shortly so could do it then

Yeah, the M GT ones are better than a new Toyota one anyway :) from the pics it looks like yours is pretty badly corroded....if i was to guess id say it was really soft and gooey?

Get it changed while you replace the bumper :D

If you're looking for a new intercooler, I can supply the GREDDY Spec-M Front Mounted Intercooler for £355 including postage

http://www.trust-power.com/02greddy/coolingparts/intercooler/0008.jpg

or OEM Toyota Side Mounted Intercooler for £508 including postage.

I would put money on even a really knackard IC still not causing the "engine to melt", at stock levels anyway, melting engines are usually a result of higher boost and lack of fuel......

To some degree yes. Although one IC I saw recenly couldn't have been doing any cooling, all fins were impacted and allowing almost no flow through it, that would be bad enough to cause serious heating problem - though can't think it'd cause a meltdown through high intake temps. That was an extreme example with the 1st inch of fins gone completly! Hope there's not many cars like that around.

Oooh pretty, will that mount in the middle without affecting the active spoiler thingy ? might have to have that

If you're looking for a new intercooler, I can supply the GREDDY Spec-M Front Mounted Intercooler for £355 including postage

[qimg]http://www.trust-power.com/02greddy/coolingparts/intercooler/0008.jpg[/qimg]

or OEM Toyota Side Mounted Intercooler for £508 including postage.