The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back from rolling road, inflated figures???

jevansio

Just come back from the North East MR2 Dyno morning, I put the Sup on just to see what power she was putting out before I do any mods, these are the figures:

Engine Power (measured) 350 bhp @ 5927 rpm

Wheel Power (measured) 314 bhp @ 5927 rpm

Power Losses (measured) 36 bhp @ 5927 rpm

Engine Power (corrected) 365 bhp @ 5927 rpm

Engine Torque (corrected) 335 lbs/ft @ 3516 rpm

Pressure (standard) 968 mBar

Temp (standard) 18 Degrees

The car is a facelift (non-vvti) TT. Only power mods are:

HKS Cone Filter

Non descript exhaust (still fully catted)

Boost up to 1 Bar

Do these figures seem correct (esp 314 ATW), seems a bit high considering it's fairly standard and a UK only gets 326 ATFW.

Was funny as we had 5 people in the boot & 2 in the back seats just to get traction on the rollers, it kept wheelspinning as soon as the 2nd turbo came online. Oh & I had to pull the traction control fuse to disable it as it was cutting in all the time.

Jay

Ref BPU...Just so I understand, how far can the boost be raised (with FCD and BC) 'safely' on a JSpec without removing the cats ?

I've not had the Sup that long, but the boost controller receipt is years old, so I guess mine has been running 1 Bar for at least a couple of years,

Jay

I've not had the Sup that long, but the boost controller receipt is years old, so I guess mine has been running 1 Bar for at least a couple of years,

Jay

Just in case...I didnt mean to imply your set-up was 'unsafe' Jay, I was just inquisitive as to how much performance difference could safely be made without a de-cat. Is 1 Bar as far as people would risk ? Or is 1 Bar the max achievable without de-catting, even with an FCD and BC ?

Those figures seem about right for 1.0 bar.

I wonder why it's boosting so high with both cats in place.

He has a HKS boost controller and FCD in place, didn't realise you could up the boost with the cats still in.

Well that explains it then. No wonder it makes more power than a UK spec - it's running more boost!

Just in case...I didnt mean to imply your set-up was 'unsafe' Jay

Hey no worries Ewen :D never thought you did :D

, I was just inquisitive as to how much performance difference could safely be made without a de-cat. Is 1 Bar as far as people would risk ? Or is 1 Bar the max achievable without de-catting, even with an FCD and BC ?

The reason I phrased my response in a 'mine has done this' type way, is that I don't really know the answer & didn't want to advise you 1 Bar is OK when it may not been. We need someone with more experience to answer this,

Jay

Define 'safe' :) Any boost increase above stock levels carries an element of risk.

You'd probably be alright as long as the EGTs are safe.

Are cooler plugs fitted? Have the AFRs been checked? On the dyno would have been a great time to check them.

It would be more risky without the above.

With both cats in place and running 1 bar boost, i would almost certainly say that your egt's will be running high.

On J spec the cats cause the resritiction in the exhaust system and limit full boost to between 0.7 ~ 0.9 bar generally as a guide. Upping the boost, with that restriction in place won't be doing your engine much good.

What other mods do you have in place? And as stated did the dyno print out show your afr's. And your 1st post stated an ambient temp of 18 deg c. Where did you have it done.....Barcelona? :D

With both cats in place and running 1 bar boost, i would almost certainly say that your egt's will be running high.

On J spec the cats cause the resritiction in the exhaust system and limit full boost to between 0.7 ~ 0.9 bar generally as a guide. Upping the boost, with that restriction in place won't be doing your engine much good.

What other mods do you have in place? And as stated did the dyno print out show your afr's. And your 1st post stated an ambient temp of 18 deg c. Where did you have it done.....Barcelona? :D

Other mods are, HKS Cone filter, non-name exhaust (looks like 3" pipework though), Iridium Plus (colder grade).

No AFR's I'm afraid.

Barcelona, I wish :D, it was up in Durham & it was bloody freezing outside :D,

The boost controller came with the car & was set to 1 Bar, so I've just left it (always planned to get a full exhaust in the short term), so do you think I should turn it back to 0.8 bar until I get it decatted? Once i get it decatted am I OK on 1 bar though?

J