The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help!!!

Guest NINJYA

Only had my twin turbo supra a month, getting on really well with it, but today i took it to the garage for new rear pads and i discover it has lock-in nuts and i cant get them off. The shape is 7 sided with a line in the middle. Am getting new tyres mon as i have slow puncture, is there anywhere i can get the right key to remove my wheels?

Hello and welcome to the club:)

Just in case you havent already....

Ring the previous owner and ask him where the key socket is. If he has no idea, ask him if he has the key number for the security bolt key socket. If you cant get hold of him, have a good search through the boot area, the previous owner may have put the (security wheel bolts ) key socket somewhere in there. Look under the front seats too and obviously in the glove box.

If no luck, and without the key number from the original wheel bolts I doubt you'l get a new socket...although someone on here may come up with a better plan, only option is to buy a new set of bolts and get a garage to get the old ones off as best they can:(

The car came straight from japan-so no owner to ask, the bloke that sorted it for me said it should have had it in the boot. But a friend is getting a heat gun on it and replacing them with normal nuts. Hoping this will work cos if i get a puncture i am f*cked!!!!

Cheers for your advice.

The car came straight from japan-so no owner to ask...Cheers for your advice.

:D I was stating the obvious wasnt I. Oh well, shame you cant get some help from the importer. Good luck anyhoo, and post up pics of your car for our delectation when you get a chance:)

I had the same problem with my old Mazda 323 (getting my Supra SZ next week :)) as my socket key had long since rusted apart. I had the same worry, what the hell do I do if I get a puncture, and the reason I was even trying to get them off was my tread was down to legal minimum!

However, I found a local garage willing to taken them off for me (they even did it for free!). They had a "universal" socket set which they hammered onto the locking nuts and undid them (lots of hammering!). All worked out fine with no damage to the thread - and given they are only cheap Mazda alloys I just put standard nuts back on (much less hassle). Not sure I'd go without locking nuts on decent alloys though.

Anyway - short answer, ring around your local garages - I'm sure at least one of them will be able to help you out with a universal socket set. Otherwise I've seen them on Ebay for not too much money. Do a search for "locking nut removal" and you'll get a few hits.

Good luck!

Only had my twin turbo supra a month, getting on really well with it, but today i took it to the garage for new rear pads and i discover it has lock-in nuts and i cant get them off. The shape is 7 sided with a line in the middle. Am getting new tyres mon as i have slow puncture, is there anywhere i can get the right key to remove my wheels?

hI AND WELCOME

Most decent Tyre and exhaust centres keep removal kits, so shouldn't have any problems,

Check though wether you haver standard Toyota wheel nuts (they have a washer on them) or std aftermarket nuts,

If Toyota nuts you will struggle to get aftermarket versions, Just had same problem on my brother inlaws Celica, Good old ebay came up trums though, If aftermarket (without washer) they are a common nuts used on most cars.

Good luck.. Its not a major problem just ring around a few "decent" tyre centres

Kwit-Fit were able to removed one of mine with *cough* 'extreme prejudice' when I had a blow-out and didn't have the key in the car. Lots of hammering until they could fit one of their other spanners on to it. No damage to the the thread fortunately. I won't be making that mistake again!

Rowland