The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High stall..... ?

Jim_1979

What is it??

I've seen people mentioning it loads and I've done a search, but can't actually find what it is.

What I've sussed out so far is it's for people with autos and larger than stock turbos.

Someone mind explaining what it is, what it does. How much and what is involved in getting it on the car? Is it built into a gearbox? Do you need to buy a special gearbox with it?

Thanks in advance!

so....

"Stall speed is the amount of engine rpm that can be attained at full throttle with brakes locked and transmission in gear before the driving wheels turn. The stall is only attainable if the brakes can hold the vehicle."

so how much are they usually?? ... say if you were going for a T61 or T67 turbo?

It can also make it a loud, hard-revving, overheating pig in everyday traffic situations.

It's a balance (like everything automotive - engineering)

The coin has two sides, you don't get something for nothing.;)

Can't say I've experienced any such issues John...

But isnt a high stall just the same as getting your revs up and letting the clutch go. From what ive read, it seems that simply put, your car will be ideling closer to the powerband which means when you put your put down you will be off in the correct location. For Autos i can see the point, but not for manu transmission, altough having said that power braking is an alternative. Am i missing something? i did read something about the cars brakes? how does that work, does the torque convertor have some control over the braking which stops the car launching prematurely? If its doesnt then that would be ace! revs up, brakes on hard, car pulling but not enough to over power the brakes then...... boom, your off.