The mkiv Supra Owners Club

alternator/battery problems

chilly

Help?

when i try to start the car, all the dash lights work but it wont fire up. The immobiliser flashes quickly and clicks. Then dash lights dim,and still nothing. When i get a jump, it starts first time, but then a couple of days later, it happens again.

Wots your thoughts fellas...?

If it is alternator...wots the damge?

Chilly

SZ - no turbo-pish

The battery in there is smaller than the battery housing so obviously a cheap one. Wot about that clicking sound from the igntion though and the immobilser light flashing?

Clicking sound is normally the starter solenoid clicking in and out through lack of battery power. Immobiliser light sounds like the same problem. If your alternator was the issue, you would normally have a warning light on the dash when the engine was running, maybe only flickering.

A new battery is much cheaper than a new alternator - I would start there first :)

You might still have the small battery type which they used in Japan - I did.

Best to check if you've got the normal size battery post connections or the smaller ones, you may need to change the battery terminal clamps for larger ones too.

Also, get the correct replacement battery for the Supra . (physical size)

The one I got was too high and I had to modify the strap which holds it down.