The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GS300 - known problems?

ChrisSZ

Off the top of my head:

The gauge needles lose the light so difficult to see your speed at night.

UK spec has different calipers and discs than the jap spec so you can't use cheap 2 pot calipers bought off here on your UK GS300!

Rusting on suspension components and calipers - I guess more on UK spec.

Check all the cabin electrics.

I'll try and find a useful link..

Stepping across to the dark side Chris ? :(

Being 'directed' that way by the ballast :(

Ohh I dunno, Something perverse about a barge going sideways

Any blowers on it ?

Sure I cant temp you with a supra TT I know going

I could happily be persuaded - it's the ballast you'd have your work cut out with:Pling:

I just need to get a decent 'family' car. Being really honest, the Supe doesn't measure up to the requirements. Since it's knackered and I can't justify throwing more money at it I figured that a GS300 would be the next best thing - same lump as I'm now used to, more comfort for her and little one and reasonably priced these days.

What I'm trying to work out is what bits I could transfer over from one car to the other - most importantly all my bling:Pling: (and of course my UK brakes/RX8 wheels).

I'll be sticking up a post in the next few days once I've looked at a few other possibilities.

On the plus side, the wife's father has just offered me his 90k miles Passat for free:blink: - keepers for a few months until the right car turns up.

Mate,

On the UK MK1, the Caliper carrier is slighty different so the supra 2 pot don't fit so the same for 4 pot supra brakes I guess. If you buy an import, I believe it's the same caliper carriers as the Supra.

Have you driven a GS300? Just for info, they are huge! wider and longer than a Supra so be weary if you have a small garage or need to get it into tight driveways!

Cheers mate - not actually driven one yet. TBH I'm not even certain I wanna get one yet! Just that it seems like pretty much my only option - RDW, 4dr, Jap, decent engine, not 'chav'. Briefly considered BMs but can't live with the image. Mercs are a possibility but I know feck-all about them.

Cheers mate - not actually driven one yet. TBH I'm not even certain I wanna get one yet! Just that it seems like pretty much my only option - RDW, 4dr, Jap, decent engine, not 'chav'. Briefly considered BMs but can't live with the image. Mercs are a possibility but I know feck-all about them.

If you need a family car and do lots of miles I will reccommend one if you find one in very good condition.

I have driven loadsa cars and the Lexus GS300 is one of the best for comfort.

It really is a sitting room on wheels!

The UK ones come fully loaded and have a power button - not sure if the Supra N/A auto has this?? Sports mode?

I swapped to a gs300 from a supra sz although mine is really an Aristo tt badged as a gs300, has cost me a few grand with rebuild at the moment but it is lovely to drive.Not too many probs with the na but beware of sticking calipers and knackered engine mounts, dash lights are a bit of a pain sometimes but best to try for a dash from a scrap dealer only a prob at night!!.I was caught out with the tt which is costly but hope to have it back soon, good luck

Good luck Chris.

Of course, you can always do what I did. Get a Supra (or other sports number of your choice) when the kids have flown the nest and you don't need any back seats. :)

Cheers mate - but by that time I'll be too old and wrinkly to see over the steering wheel:d