The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What could i expect from 6k

shimmydude

Well i was looking into entering the world of the supra but am not sure what kind of car i could get for my money should i go this way with a new car. :)

As i am 21 i would probly have to start at the non-turbo and one day upgrade to a turbo when insurance isnt so steep.

Now i am into modified cars (jap modified cars) and love my bodykits and large alloys. :) not to everyones taste i know but its me..

To keep insurance down the engine would probly have to be as near to standard as poss, air filter & exhaust would be ok though, just not super tuned so the insuance peeps are like erm... no. lol

What kinda of thing could i be looking at for around 6 / 6.5 k ?

Would appreciate any helpfull comments or examples and am sure what seems like a great forum will have some help for me :)

insurance wise you'd probably find there's not a huge difference between a tt or n/a.

your budget however is more suited to getting yourself a nice face-lift n/a (hopefully with the larger brakes and six speed manual 'box)

:)

welcome by the way

Great advice. My TT was less to insure than my NA!!

For the money though, a lovely facelift manual would be nice. Im sure there was one recently on the for sale section.

Speak to CJ to see if he can source you a nice example?

insurance wise, quick quotes (via autotrader insurance searcher)

(Note: Not confirmed quotes just results returned from online quotes)

No reason as to why i used a 93, just used it as was doing the quote quickly. Doubt the quote would change to much for a car a few years newer.

1993 N/A Supra Modified (bodykit, alloys, exhaust, tints) £1250 fc

1993 Trbo Supra (same spec in regards to modifications) £2445 fc

doh :(

As for the car, thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep them coming in. Would like a black car, (as i love the colour) even though its a pain to clean lol or maybe a red, blue, purple, arghh i dont know, lol. and would def have to be manual. (nothing against tip boxes, just i like manualness :D Oh and thanks martin for the tip about the airbox. Standard it would remain then! :D

i bet your quote for the turbo is for a UK car.

double check that if i was you as it's unusual to be that big a difference unless you're comparing jspec and UK models.

But then the UK would be cheaper, not more expensive!

Might be a mkiii NA, or might just be a good quote.

:looney:

124K mile uk auto for (EDIT not such a great deal, the trader says 'manual' but its deffo an auto - seems to be a new and annoying trader glitch) £6,250?

...........will save loads on insurance just need some member local to you willing to come with you to make sure its ok......

Wow guys i gotta say i am VERY impressed at the amount of quality replies i got!! Have never been on a forum where you get this kinda of help and good opinions!!

I always think part of owning a car is the owners forum you become part of. (sounds a little lame but i think its true)

Thanks for the PM badge, went to the site link but it was like a default domain page asking about uploading a site to thew domain, so not sure if they are having tech dificulties.

The more replies i get the more reassured i am that this could be the right choice when it comes to getting a new car :D

shimmy, choosing a £6k na will mean you have lots of choice, can take your time, and as long as you do, you will have very little chance of ending up with a lemon......

A TT in your budget wil attract attention and so you may have to move quickly and may rush into buying one that costs you down the line.....

If you are certain re the kit and alloys then its NA all the way IMO.

Have you seen the facelift NA 6 speed white with a kit on the trader for £4.5K?

Im the same age and there is no way that insurance is the same price. You would be looking at double the cost for the Turbo even UK Spec. Plus are hormones are all over the place so a turbo would be in the bush after a couple of days!!!

A uk turbo will be/is/was cheaper to insure than a Non turbo car for me.

lol iain2010 indeed hormones are everywhere, and im trying to stick to the lower end of the insurance scale so dont wanna be paying near 2k (again) for my insurance. Import MR2 cost enough last year so not doing that again lol.

Sounds good advice Scooter. Have been looking around the forum for about 3 weeks now, but am def gonna take my time with this one. As i wanna modify it i think N/A is the way to go as im not a guy whos into getting large bhp figures outta the car, no where to do it really (without risking licence) apart from a track and thats an expensive car for the occational track day.

NA 6 speed sounds nice, cant recall seeing it.. any pics bud? :)

I can give you a real example of what you get for that money - because it's what I paid for mine and I've only had it 3 weeks.

I got a 97 manual NA, blue (I think it's the royal pearl sapphire blue or whatever it's called, because it's actually got a purple tinge to it), 65k miles, been in the UK since 99, totally standard, good history, excellent condition. It's a facelift - but doesn't have 6-speed.

It was advertised for £6.5K and I paid £6.3k.

There are a few NAs around and I think I paid a reasonable price. You might get a 6-speed for your money but I don't think there are so many around and I suspect you would be stretching your budget.

Thanks mate, got a good buy there, and good millage. Soundsa nice colour, two great colours in one! Im gonna keep an eye out for a bargin as i know they are there to be had, just need to wait for them. With the 6 speed im not overly concerned, would be nice to have but not essential.

thanks for your comment :D nice to see even new members to the forum contribute too. many thanks