The mkiv Supra Owners Club

headlight blown

supra steveo

Guest Tonysupra

I had to get a standard Halfords bulb 6005 or so but see previous posts on this and you need to file off some of the plastic wings which keep the bulb in the holder and also there is a rib that sticks up inside the connection bit that you chisel out. Very easy to do.

I have J spec with J spec lights still.

I had to get a standard Halfords bulb 6005 or so but see previous posts on this and you need to file off some of the plastic wings which keep the bulb in the holder and also there is a rib that sticks up inside the connection bit that you chisel out. Very easy to do.

I have J spec with J spec lights still.

Bulbs are the normal ones as used in most Jap cars

Mitsubishi

Lexus

etc etc etc

Part No 9004

Part No 9005

One is high beam the other low beam

Can't remember which is which though

Any motor Shop / garage / Halfords etc etc sell them

UK Spec:

Low = 9006 (HB4)

High = 9005 (HB3)

JSpec:

Low = 9006J

High = 9005J

However the J bulbs are not available in the UK. The problem is that the 9006J and 9006 have different diameter bodies (20mm and 22mm respectively).

To get around this what you do is to fit a 9005 (HB3) bulb in the high AND low beams (you will need to slightly modify the connector to make them fit though.)

(Copyright the ImportPimp 21-01-06. :))

9005's should be available over there somewhere Steve. They don't all drive beemers and Audi's.

MarkyMark, the bulb may be attached to the holder but that's what you replace - the whole thing.

UK Spec:

Low = 9006 (HB4)

High = 9005 (HB3)

JSpec:

Low = 9006J

High = 9005J

However the J bulbs are not available in the UK. The problem is that the 9006J and 9006 have different diameter bodies (20mm and 22mm respectively).

To get around this what you do is to fit a 9005 (HB3) bulb in the high AND low beams (you will need to slightly modify the connector to make them fit though.)

(Copyright the ImportPimp 21-01-06. :))

9005's should be available over there somewhere Steve. They don't all drive beemers and Audi's.

MarkyMark, the bulb may be attached to the holder but that's what you replace - the whole thing.

Which bit do you modify??

I just put them straight in my j spec

But thinking about it, I did just the low beam bulb

Also had to remove the bulb plug and put on insulated tiny spades as for some reason I had bad corrosion on just that one bulb connection yet its sealed inside the lamp behind a cover .. very weird