The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my HID bulb gone?

johnnyknox

Bulb seems fine on the other side of the car, so looks like you were right, my ballast pack is shagged.

Now I have the fun of trying to find out where to get a new one.

The make is THUNDER BEAM but I can't find a website for them or anything, so I don't know what to do. They seem to be a Jap company (which would make sense, my car is an import)

Guest gzaerojon

i had fun trying to find the right one, turns out there are a few ballasts that are identical and just badged up under different names

is it this one?

Try also swapping the ballasts around, the ballasts need a minimum voltage to fire up the bulbs, if the voltage is slightly low you'll get flashing or no illumination of the bulb.

Connect the ballast and bulbs directly to the battery or swap onto another car, to see if they work.

It could be a bad earth or that your battery needs replacing.

Guest gzaerojon

Nic, can you get the type of ballast that i pictured above?

i swapped mine round and the fault did move to the other side so it must be the ballast

sorry for the hijack :innocent:

Before you start replacing ballasts check your fuses properly ;)

That's what was wrong with mine - the light would flicker on and then off, the relay would give off a loud click. Replaced the right fuse and no problem since.

:sly:

Sorry,

Which fuse is it likely to be?

Is it a box in the engine bay or in the foot well?

Look for the 2 fuses in the engine bay fusebox. As you can see from the attached fusebox layout PDF the left and right lights are 25 & 26, both using a 15A fuse.

Good luck and I hope that cures your problem.

:ok:

Thanks very much for that mate, will check it tomoz, it's raining (again) here at the mo :(

I fixed the same problem last weekend, it turned out the fuse on the HID loom on that side was really corroded for some reason... replaced it and it fires up first time. That said I had this problem with my last set of HIDs and it turned out to be the bulb. Check the easy things first though like fuses, loose connections, ground.