The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning Aluminium

Nic

Whilst my car's off the road I thought I'd clean up my HKS FMIC and alu hard pipes.

They are a few years old now, so are a bit oxidised and dull, any advice on the best way to clean them up? Don't want them polished, just clean so they have a flat brushed alu finish.

Yeah but he wants a brushed ali finish, the stuff we use isn't as hard as scotchbrite. It leaves a finer finish.

You get different grades of Scotchbrite, best to go from medium to a finer grade, gets the crap off then the finer for a brushed finish.

Paul

You get different grades of Scotchbrite, best to go from medium to a finer grade, gets the crap off then the finer for a brushed finish.

Paul

Yeah sorry as I say we don't actually use scotchbrite ar work, it's called bertex. We only have one grade at work, and it's pretty fine.

Whenevr I am polishing something up I use wet and dry to get the machining marks out, then bertex then polish it.

Sorry for any confusion.

Don't use Hydroflouric acid unless you are really sure of what you are doing ........

Or unless you want to die!!!

From material safety data sheet:

Extremely toxic. May be fatal if inhaled or ingested. Readily absorbed through the skin - skin contact may be fatal. Acts as a systemic poison. Causes severe burns. Possible mutagen. Reaction may be delayed. Any contact with this material, even minor, requires immediate medical attention

A word of warning.... this acid is produced when flouroelastomer materials are burned such as O rings used in engines etc :blink: :blink: Never play with burned cars with bare hands.

Extremely toxic. May be fatal if inhaled or ingested. Readily absorbed through the skin - skin contact may be fatal. Acts as a systemic poison. Causes severe burns. Possible mutagen. Reaction may be delayed. Any contact with this material, even minor, requires immediate medical attention

Ooh nasty :blink:

A word of warning.... this acid is produced when flouroelastomer materials are burned such as O rings used in engines etc :blink: :blink: Never play with burned cars with bare hands.

Pleasant stuff then! :blink:

Gaz.