The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2nd hand turbo's - are these any good?

Homer

A forum member has asked to purchase my old stock turbo's, however one of them shows some damage on the compressor. Though they performed extremely well on my car for 30k miles of BPU, I'm unsure if these are fit for sale to a forum member.

The shaft does move a tiny amount, but no up/down movement at all. There's no sign of seal problems.

Opinions?

tubbie1.jpg

tubbie2.jpg

The compressors don't look too bad mate, but then again they are steel and can take a bit of damage. Were they used with an induction kit?

The main bit to check is the impellers (think that's the term - the hots side anyway!) as they are the ones that REALLY show up damage! If you take the v-band clamps off you can take the turbos apart (with a bit of gentle persuasion).

A forum member has asked to purchase my old stock turbo's, however one of them shows some damage on the compressor. Though they performed extremely well on my car for 30k miles of BPU, I'm unsure if these are fit for sale to a forum member.

The shaft does move a tiny amount, but no up/down movement at all. There's no sign of seal problems.

Opinions?

Darryl...you certainly have you way around a car's body :D

The compressors don't look too bad mate, but then again they are steel and can take a bit of damage.

You meant to say aluminium Bob????

A big chunk out like in that first pic means something hard has been through quite fast and quite recently. Its broken the tip off one inducer end of the blade but not hit any others, so must have been on or near full boost otherwise there would have been a bit of debris tennis played up and down the induction pipe!

There's no smoothing of the edges of the broken bit, so its not a common occurance or old.

Yes it will Jon.

The further from the centre of the object the bit comes off, the more effect it will have due to its greater moment of inertia.

Think about that small weight on your wheel that balances the wheel/tyre combo. I bet you've driven with an unbalanced wheel??

The wheel only spins at a couple of thousand rpm, but at 70 mph the steering can shake like a b*stard. Imagine that same kind of shake on a turbo shaft at up to 150k rpm!!!

Luckily the turbo shaft floats on a bearing that itself floats in the housing, so the oil films can help to dampen some of the effects of this vibration, but any vibration above a certain limit (these are very finely balanced) will lead to self destruction.

In short, looking at a turbo is like admiring a beautiful woman; your eyes are drawn to the size of the housings and you're amazed by how well it will blow, but when you start seeing chipped teeth..... just think of the consequenes ;)