The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Iridium Spark Plugs

MaveriK

My sparks are just a little on the wet side (over fueling which is being corrected wednesday by Turbofit) but someone said that they had heard that if the plugs had been wet and then cleaned with a steel brush they lose their ability to clean themselves.

Is this true or just hog wash??

The real problem is that the wire brush leaves metal particles (and possibly pieces of wire) on the plug's ceramic surface and in between the body and the ceramic insulator that can lead to the spark tracking across the insulator to earth.

Sand blasting is better, however the sand can get trapped in between the body and the ceramic insulator, releasing when the engine runs!

Which ever way you clean them be sure to clean it after with a tiff paint brush and solvent, and blow out with high pressure air (with eye protection of course).

Iridiums have a very fine central electrode, and wire brushing or sand blasting may damage it. They should be self cleaning anyway???

Stock plugs are platinum and suppose to last ages.

Copper equivalent plugs are fine but need more frequent changes.

In my personal opinion I have found Iridiums to be a bit more responsive in performance compared to the copper equivalents. However I feel that the Iridiums do go down in performance after about 11-12 thousand miles (I've had 5 sets in my car). I'm sticking to Iridiums as I'm happy with them but they are expensive compared to the coppers especially of their longevity