The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dodge Viper....who??

Guest Fever

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to register and post up that I was the passenger in Wez's car yesterday when the Dodge Viper was seriously spanked!! :D

Heading down a dual carriage way we spot the Viper, Wez moves in behind him to let the guy know that we are there!! :D

Pull up at a set of lights with a long empty stretch of dual carriage way ahead...the lights go green and the Viper nails it...so did Wez!! :shock: Within seconds we are +110 leptons and tucked nicely on the Vipers back bumper!! :shock: I can see the guy looking back in his rearview!! Fifth gear, out into the empty inside lane and bye-bye Viper!!! :shock:

The drivers face was a picture...:D...Wez couldn't enjoy it though as he was busy trying to bring the car back from +160 leptons!!:D :trophy:

I bet the guy didn't post on the Viper Club about his Sunday afternoon cruising!! :D £80,000...pah, clearly a waste of his money!!:rlol:

Cheers guys...nice to be here! :D Was indeed a buzz for me!!

Always got to be doubters though.... 7-9 second qtr mile, is that some American c0ck waving statistics your quoting...next you'll be telling me they can go round corners like a Ferrari!! :D

They are fuckin fast cars as standard, anyone who debates that is a dufus. A single tubby Supra running 500+ can keep up and beat one if it's driven better, I'm guessing this Viper wasn't being driven properly, or at least the guy wasn't willing to get anywhere near the limit, otherwise it would no way have been 'seriously spanked'.

We all love the Supra, it's an amazing car and the engineering is brilliant, but it can't rule the world - it's fast yes and the single boys will have little competition on the roads - but don't kid yourselves that proper supercars are easy meat!!!!

Never the less, whether the driver was a n00b or not, Wez kicked butt and laughed all the way to the garage! :thumbs:

(just stop dissing the Viper!)

They weigh about the same (IIRC the Viper kerb weight is around 1500kg).

They have about the same power, the Viper has 500BHP and 530lbft torque.

Evenly matched cars as far as I can see, except:

The power curve on a huge V10 is going to be much higher rms than a smaller 6 with a turbo, which puts the Viper ahead. The torque curve similarly is more on an 8.3 litre V10 than a 3.0 litre 6 with a turbo.

Yet somehow this MONSTER of a car was 'seriously spanked' by the underdog.

It was better driving plain and simple.

I bet the guy didn't post on the Viper Club about his Sunday afternoon cruising!! :D

..and your money would be safe. You almost never hear the other side of the driving chronicles.

Sounds like you had a laugh Wez- those Vipers are really something too, I'd love an old shape black roadster.

I drove my friends Viper in snowy, slushy conditions in Germany, very quick car, but I knew if I stopped concentrating for a split second the thing would seriously kill me.

They are a glorified kit car, with a mother of an engine bolted in. They are very basic and not very well put together, but very exciting-frightening to drive.

They weigh about the same (IIRC the Viper kerb weight is around 1500kg).

They have about the same power, the Viper has 500BHP and 530lbft torque.

Evenly matched cars as far as I can see, except:

The power curve on a huge V10 is going to be much higher rms than a smaller 6 with a turbo, which puts the Viper ahead. The torque curve similarly is more on an 8.3 litre V10 than a 3.0 litre 6 with a turbo.

Yet somehow this MONSTER of a car was 'seriously spanked' by the underdog.

It was better driving plain and simple.

:D...well I'm happy to diss the Viper as I've never liked them myself! :D Give a 8.1 V10 to VW or Toyota and it will be spitting out far more than 450 - 500BHP!!

Oh and by the way, comparing dyno's, Wez has more power and torque than a Viper from 4800rpm onwards!! ;)

Come on man...a victory for the underdog...you got to love that!!

but I wish people wouldn't put so much emphasis on the car's performance, most of it is driver related.

True - I raced my friend in my 1.1 Fiesta with 3 mates in it against his 1.4 Golf with 2 mates in and I whooped his ass, I know they are very small engine sizes but his car was 'more powerful' and no doubt lighter so it has nothing to do with power and all to do with the driver and changing gear at the right time etc :p :D :d

:D...well I'm happy to diss the Viper as I've never liked them myself! :D Give a 8.1 V10 to VW or Toyota and it will be spitting out far more than 450 - 500BHP!!

I dont know about that Toyota only got 225bhp out of a straight six. Now give it to TVR and your laughing they got 808bhp out of a 7.7l V12 thats pretty good bph per liter.