The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP advise needed.

markjodrell

Hi

I am about to buy my first supra tt, I would predfer a manual but would settle for an auto.

My big problem is that the more I learn and find out about the supra mods etc the more confused and the less I seem to know.

Right, as always "they" say , induction kit , to let it breath (which one, Ive seen them on ebay from £200 hks or universal £40, whats a good starter for 10) secondly the exhaust to clear the gases, this is where it gets tricky, I have heard that this can cause the turbos to overboost and blow the engine, nice, then it goes on and on fuel defenders washers in the exhaust gobbly gook ahhhh.

Then the alloys , 18" seem about the norm, but then theres the -does iy doesnt it require lowering 40m else it looks like a monster truck.

I have spotted a 1996 facelift car pretty mint but bog std completley unmolested, do I go for that or buy one with the wheels bov induction exhaust and hope somebody else has done the work and got it right.

can anyone give me a little straight forward advise with out confusing me even more ,

many thanks guys

mark

Mark. Its simple. Hang around on here long enough, & read all posts on those subjects using the search button, until you are happy you know all about those subjects. Then & only then my friend, will you be ready to go forth & buy your ultimate Supra!!

But, in answer to your questions:

1) Get a manual if that's what you want. UK manuals are rare & more expensive then J Spec manuals, but insurance is lower & they come better equipped (better turbos that live longer at high boost for a start!)

2) An induction kit is not necessary. The std air box flows a mahoosive amount

3) A good exhaust up around the 3 to 4 " diameter will be best. Something like a superdrgger. There's lots of discussion on them if you use the search button. Its decatting that causes overboost on J specs. If you get a UK spec it won't cause overboost. With a J spec you need a restrictor ring to prevent the overbost.

4) 18" allys are common, however it will handle best on 17". Lowering is cool. There's lots of lowering springs out there. I use Tein

5) If you know what modifications you know that you want get one of the importers on here (Jurgen, CJ an others) to look out for the exact car you want. They will find a J Spec 6 speed with everything in immaculate condition for you! And it will be cheaper than doing it all yourself.

Good luck

UK manuals are rare & more expensive then J Spec manuals

Well, more expensive than a j-spec of the same year/condition/mileage. Don't forget that much newer and lower mileage j-specs are about.

better turbos that live longer at high boost for a start!

That's debatable. The UK's steel internals are heavier and prone to imbalance-caused failure if over boosted.

Plenty of folks would rather have the j-spec turbos.

Also a 4" exhaust would be complete overkill for a BPU car, and the car will handle better on the stock 17" wheels. I'm sure you could get some terrible wrong offset 17" ones that would be terrible. Go for 18" MAX and preferably as light as possible.

I would go for the unmolested one every time and get the parts to go BPU yourself. But yes keep checking the ones for sale on here and speak to the importers on the forum :)

23 - 30 thats very good.

Its strange when I first considered a supra the ignorant choise was tt or na, auto or manual , then what colour and how much to pay, period. But after delving deeper it all becomes a blur .

Going back to the std tt supra auto, the one Ive seen is a 1996 face lift. What do you consider its worth with 46k genuine on the clock and what are the performance figures 0-60.Does putting a ss exhaust and inducting really make that much difference or is it mainly for the look.

Mark

As mentioned above, don't bother with an induction kit - Toyota spent a hell of a lot of money on the air filter set up in the Supra, it's been proven time and again that other after market filters don't add anything except increased engine wear!!!

The cat back exhaust will make it sound nicer, and will probably add a bit more power as you should see some more boost, if you want more boost and more power (which you will!!) you'll need to remove one of the CATs. Then for EVEN more power you can replace the other CAT - with this second CAT removal we advise getting some other parts as well (see BPU).

0-60 is misleading on the Supra, take it as 'about 5 seconds', the Supra is a motorway cruiser at the end of the day, there are a few things that will eat it from a standing start - it's fast yes but where it really shines is mid range pull. Sit at 80, select lower gear, foot down - you'll never get tired of the pull!!!!

I have no idea about prices at the moment, except that they're low!! std TT auto facelift with 46k I'd say about 4-5k - but I could be well out!!

I have no idea about prices at the moment, except that they're low!! std TT auto facelift with 46k I'd say about 4-5k - but I could be well out!!

Ive just slashed my wrists:(

How much???More like £7k to £9k depending on quality... surely!

Im stitching them back up again:)

Guest Nicholas

Put me down for 5 ;)