The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Declaring mods for insurance?

merckx

I feel it is always best to tell them everything and get it on a spec sheet with pictures and get then to approve them with agreed value;) , I had my first Supra stolen and proving the value was difficut without the spec sheets and part costs, I also had a right game with them understanding what the mods were even, but the guys who go over any claim are much more clued up, a bit unfair really but you can get caught out

I got my quote from Sky and they gave me a price according to the spec I gave them. I said OK and gave them my credit card details.

Later I remembered some other mods I should have declared (my car's got quite a few) so I rang them back but they just said "Yeah no problem just add it on the declared mods form when it arrives - no extra charge"

How cool is that? I love Sky I do! :love: :sex:

I'm with Elephant at the moment, I'm going to give Sky a ring later.

Agreed value and like for like on mods is the only way to go.

Would it be aftermarket exhaust - no mention of decat pipes?

I didn't think I should mention decat pipes as they produce illegal emissions.

Anyone?

I'm with Elephant at the moment, I'm going to give Sky a ring later.

Agreed value and like for like on mods is the only way to go.

Would it be aftermarket exhaust - no mention of decat pipes?

I didn't think I should mention decat pipes as they produce illegal emissions.

Anyone?

You don't need to specify decat pipes, just say "Full aftermarket exhuast system". Thats completely true so its not like you're providing any misinformation. Sky will know what you mean anyway.

If you are going with Sky the agreed value option is well worth it. Declare everything, they have a very realistic view of performance and cosmetic modification. AFAIK they did not increase the premium for RLTC, as other companies do. I have always argued that it is a safety mod, therefore reduces their risk.

I always thought my previous insurer was good, but they could not compete with Sky.

How does the agreed value option with sky work?? Do you have to ask for this option? Do you have to pay more?

I think its an extra £35 on top for an agreed price. I had to take pictures of the car (outside all 4 sides and the engine bay).

with regard to the decats, i have a question..if a car passes the MOT emissions test without the cats in, by law do you still need to have the cats on the car ? I thought they were added to the car to reduce emissions ?

with regard to the decats, i have a question..if a car passes the MOT emissions test without the cats in, by law do you still need to have the cats on the car ? I thought they were added to the car to reduce emissions ?

Nope. There's no requirement to have a cat on any car, people just call the later emissions tests "the cat test" because normally cars need cats to pass it. If you pass without them you don't need a cat.