The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where do I get UK calipers?

DaveK

I bought the Supra less than 2 weeks ago, and it's in for it's first service this week.

Phoenix have given it a clean bill of health and said it's a very good car - but have said that the front calipers were binding. They have freed them off (but not test driven it yet) but have said that I will need to replace the calipers - and have told me to get UK 4 pot since they are much better.

So - where from? I guess there are not that many UK Supra's in breakers - do I need to shell out for new Toyota ones?

I'm guessing this is a common mod, so am expecting lots of answers! ;)

I assume that the UK calipers fit the standard Jap discs - so in other words, I don't need to immediately change discs just because I'm changing calipers?

Is there any reason I'd need to change the rears (or is it just that they are better)?

I assume that the UK calipers fit the standard Jap discs - so in other words, I don't need to immediately change discs just because I'm changing calipers?

Is there any reason I'd need to change the rears (or is it just that they are better)?

You will need to change the discs also, as the 4 pot calipers use larger diameter discs and cannot be used with the smaller J-spec discs.

Ideally you should change front and rear brakes to keep the correct front/rear brake balance, saying this a lot of members run 4 pot front and 1 pot rear brake setup.

I think I will. Although I'm sure the UK ones are better - I am not about to spend £££s replacing the calipers - and therefore the discs - and therefore the wheels - on a car I bought two weeks ago.

Yeah, if you have to also fork out for some larger wheels it maybe something worth thinking about as a future thing.

Sure the UK brake setup is thought of as better, but tbh the Jap ones should do you fine. I've got the Jap setup and don't have a problem with them. Saying that I will be changing to UK setup eventually... simply because they are better.

Dave,

If you want the 2 pot replacement front calipers I have a pair. They look like to be in good condition. I don't know of the history of the car they came off. I'll throw in good discs too. All for £25.

You're in Surrey? You can pick them up from Farnborough (J4, M3) on Monday.

PM if interested.

Ro