The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky insurance... wtf?

Jim_1979

Ok...

I took out insurance with Sky about a month ago on a totally standard Jap TT.

At the time I spoke to some chap on the phone called Scott/Chris or something like that.

When I took out the policy I queried what effect putting an exhaust/decat etc on the car would have in insurance price. He said it won't affect the cost and really the only thing that will is if I go silly (big turbo) stylee.

So after going nearly BPU (have exhaust and decats on, just awaiting fitment of fuel pump and FCD.

BPU made an increase if roughly 12% in bhp.

Phoned Sky up and my insurance has gone up by £15 per month!!!

I know it's not silly money, but still....... :tongue:

Maybe their underwriters have changed the way aftermarket mods affect the price.

Im currently on a classic car policy with Lancaster Insurance, my renewal was £100 more this year as the previous underwriter was "no longer suitable for my insurance needs".

Slighty off-topic...

I phoned Sky up and spoke to Scott (apparently Jae doesnt work there anymore, or he's at a different branch). Sadly they couldnt beat my classic car policy quote - but he said the are looking to offer a classic car policy next year. Hopefully they will as classic car policies are (in my experience) cheaper than normal ones (as long as your happy with limited mileage).

It is yeah.

Well I didn't mention spark plugs. They said it basically goes on BPU increase.

It's going from a totally stock TT to a BPU TT.

I dont think its too bad tbh i mean its a fair bhp increase BPU and there is a fair few mods there, some insurance companies really do rape you when coming down to mods, like maximum of 5 and all sorts of stupid increases for just cosmetic mods.

You should have got a quote on a bpu supra to start with if you where planning it back then.:D